+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Rowley

Default Tapped in Rowley

I had to travel last week so I am a little late to the party, but time to drag myself off the couch and get some trees tapped. I should be able to get about 25 taps out today and probably add another 10 or 15 tomorrow depending on my bucket supply.

Sam

Good luck, Sam.

I tapped in Haverhill 10 days ago and have over 150 gallons so far....today is my first boil-and-finish after sweetening the pans wednesday
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

It looks like we're still very early in the season around here with temps just beginning to get a little milder. This weekend's snow might change that a bit. Welcome to the party and wishing you a good season!

Thanks for encouragement. My youngest daughter came out and carried buckets for me this morning. We got 22 taps hung and ran out of buckets. I may grab milk jugs and hang another 10 tomorrow until I can get some more white 1.5 gallon pails. Probably limit my self to 40 taps this year that is well beyond my reasonable boiling capabilities.

Next year I will build that new evaporator I have been thinking about. This year will be back on concrete block with a 22x40 cross flow as my only pan. It did okay last year and I think I have some thoughts of how to make it run better this year.

Sam

So I decided that I will builda n arch for the 2x4 cross flow pan. I have 70 gallons of sap already and expect to have a at least that many more before I can boil on Sunday. I had better get cracking on building this arch. Steel is already here and I have plenty of tools so hopefully I can pull this off.

Sam

I'm running out of wood!

Time to chainsaw up some more deadfalls.

I should have made my woodpile twice as high as last years instead of the same height )

Arrrgghhhh....my brand new 2 X 3 divided pan arrived with a quarter-sized dent in one angle....(&%*&$^*%ing FEDEX......should I send it back?

Its a tough call. I am not sure if/how it will affect the performance.

Can they send a new one out right away?

Also I have tons of pallets in Salem, MA if you want to come pick some up. All I burn is old pallets from the shop and I don't even make a dent in our waste stream.

Sam

I let the vendor know I was mulling sending it back for a new pan

I will be happy to take some pallets off your hands...I'm available next weekend...um..what do you do about the nails? do you break up the pallets or saw them up...with what?

Just don't cut any place where there is a nail. I cut all the cross members free of the stringers and then cut teh stringers to desired length. I start with the circular saw and finish with the chain saw.

I can leave some out on Friday night and give you an adress or you can grab them from me during the week. Send me a PM and let me know how you want to hook up.

Any other people who can get by Salem to pick up I will be happy to provide pallets.

Sam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast