+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Tapping in Franklin Couuty

Quote Originally Posted by Russ008 View Post
    I wasn't getting the boil rate I was expecting out of my new evaporator so I took a radical step and cut out the baffle in back of the drop flue. It seemed to help but my feed line to the evaporator started freezing and I ruined last weeks boil ( 150 gals). I put a heat tape on my feed line in case this happens again. I'm preparing for a much faster boil rate. I'm going out this morning to set some bags on a neighbors property. Got the next week off so I hope to keep up. I had a year I lost a few hundred gallons of sap because It spoiled before I couldn't boil it all. I hoping to get a better production this year.
    Russ, That is a beautiful rig, very similar in size to my D&G. What evaporation rate were you getting that was unsatisfactory? What is the baffle that you refer to?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

On the base of the stack is a vertical plate that stoppes about a inch from the bottom restricting the draft in back of the drop flues . Looked like to be about a whisper of smoke getting by it, Its gone now . I had much better draft on my smaller evaporator. The 1 Inch Insulation I put behind the brick may have taken up too much space, but I felt it should have it. I was getting about 9 to 10 gallons boil down, suppose to get 22. I came real close to burning the pan after I took the baffle out because my feed line was freezing up. Put a electric heat tape on it for next time. I got 90 gallons in the tank and I not going to boil until the saps running again.

Despite the cold temperatures this last week, sap had slowly been accumulating in our buckets. Had to clear some of them out this afternoon in anticipation if a big run this week. My wife ran the show for a time while I was doing other chores.

C816A9A2-065E-4757-8332-685492420740.jpg
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Speaking of chores, boiling off those big blocks of ice must have been a chore.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Had a good Day and a half Run, boiled down about 250 gallons, all caught up and waiting for the next Run. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=375684097325637
    Last edited by Russ008; 03-12-2021 at 09:02 PM.

How are things going for folks here in Franklin County? I've called it a season. I'm estimating 15 gallons made from 60 taps although I haven't bottled yet to get an accurate count. Worried that it would be a bad season but boiled 5 days in a row, last Thursday through Monday. I think that saved us. Not counting on it running again, so cleaning up this weekend.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

We’ve called it a season too midweek last week. We got about 4.6 gallons on 24 taps. Somewhat lower sugar content in our sap than we expected, but we’ve heard that’s been true for a lot of people in the area.

Worked out some problems on the new evaporator. Lost my first batch but saved the pan when my lines froze. Produced 15 gallons, and 15lbs maple cream. Next year going to add a Steam Hood, Tank heater and finish the Sugar house interior. I learn allot from the Maple trader Forums and was real worried the year it crashed. I've got to Map, Sanitize and take down the lines and Trim the Sugar Bush but will continue to check in when I can. Thanks All !

Noticed some Folks tapping a month ago. I'm cleaning up the Sugar House, Tanks and equipment now. Planning on a short but sweet season in March. Let you know how it works for Us !

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Russ, That is a beautiful rig, very similar in size to my D&G. What evaporation rate were you getting that was unsatisfactory? What is the baffle that you refer to?
    It wasn't even warming up and filled the sugar house with smoke. There's a plate that hangs down in front of the stack about the same length of the drop flues. Probably because I insulated and bricked there was a very narrow space for the heat to flow. Everybody at H2o speaks french And the dealer I bought it from didn't know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213