+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Franklin Couuty

Looks like I'll have all my line up and flushed , tanks washed by the end of the weekend. Then I'll start the tapping. Shooting for 125 on-line 75 bags and 50 buckets. Hope I find enough trees ! Fingers Crossed, Knock on wood I'll be boiling next week.

Next week is looking warm but not really sunny. Given this cold spell I’m wondering how quickly the trees will thaw. Are people here locally gonna go for it?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Next week is looking warm but not really sunny. Given this cold spell I’m wondering how quickly the trees will thaw. Are people here locally gonna go for it?
    Yes. I’m in central MA and will tap my reds Saturday.

I will start tapping here in central MA on Saturday also.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

In Charlemont, be tapping within the next week. We have collections in royalston, leverett, northfield and charlemont. Always looking for more taps, any leads? Admins please delete if not allowed.

TAPPED! 2/20/21

10 reds. Central MA. Temp is 33 and a couple of them are already producing a minuscule amount of sap. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow - sun will be out. Next week they should explode when it gets into the 40s.

Still next to nothing from the reds I tapped. Barely a dribble from all of them. There was one tree that produced a couple of cups of sap one day, but it's back to a dribble too. Wondering if I did something wrong.

Tapped last Wednesday. Collected 63 gallons yesterday the 26th from 75 buckets, sweetened the pan last night with first boil. Have a few reds tapped and they did not run. Buckland, MA.

Tapped 2/22 & 2/23, didn't run until Friday we collected 65 gallons & sweetened the pans. Just got a warm spell over the last few days, hoping we have a decent amount in the tank tonight. Shelburne, MA
    2021 165 Taps gravity tubing
    2x4 Leader Drop Flue Hybrid evaporator
    Home built 2540 RO
    New Holland 1720
    John Deere 350b

I wasn't getting the boil rate I was expecting out of my new evaporator so I took a radical step and cut out the baffle in back of the drop flue. It seemed to help but my feed line to the evaporator started freezing and I ruined last weeks boil ( 150 gals). I put a heat tape on my feed line in case this happens again. I'm preparing for a much faster boil rate. I'm going out this morning to set some bags on a neighbors property. Got the next week off so I hope to keep up. I had a year I lost a few hundred gallons of sap because It spoiled before I couldn't boil it all. I hoping to get a better production this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russ008; 03-06-2021 at 06:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast