+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siro Filter Press advice.

Default Siro Filter Press questions???

I just bought a new 12” Siro Filter Press and have questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

How hot is your syrup when you filter and can I expect to be able to run as little as 1.2 gal through the siro filter?

Can you filter less than a gallon at a time while it’s hot- or do you hold off until you have more?
    If I hold off until I have a few gallons, I'm afraid it's going to cool off to much.

Thanks for any advice, there’s lots of info on the bank presses, but not much for the siro.
    Last edited by johnallin; 02-17-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

John,
    How do you like the siro press?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris,
    Although I can't compare it to a bank press - never had one- I'm real happy with the results I'm getting, and it's easy to put together and tear down for clean up.

My operation is small by many standards, I normally only filter 3 gallons at a time so there is some issue with what stays in the Siro (maybe 2 qts?). But when I'm finished, I run the pickup hose into the rear float box and recirculate what's left in the siro back into the flue pan. Run the until the hose is almost clear and I've got most of the sugar back in the pan, so it's not a big deal. I don't know why they're not more popular, but it sure is slick setup and like I said, cleanup is a snap.
    John Allin

7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

[QUOTE= I don't know why they're not more popular, but it sure is slick setup and like I said, cleanup is a snap.[/QUOTE]

Ditto that I have a 24" and love how easy it is to set up and clean up. Not to mention it uses hardly any filter aid (I actually used a little too much 1/2 a cup and prematurely clogged it once). Pretty neat how it uses the sand in the syrup to filter. If you are only getting small draws you can recirculate it back to your tank to keep the temp up using the bypass then filter it all at once.
    Jared

Jared, Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who also has a Siro Press.

Question. As I normally only filter about 3 gallons at a time, do you think I could leave the "trapped" syrup in the siro overnight, and then pick up again with the next day's boil, and run fresh hot syrup through?

If I had it; I'm sure I could get a lot more than 3 gallons through before cleaning, but I don't know if syrup left overnight in the filter would spoil. Not that tearing it down is difficult, it's just the time spent and the re-circulating that adds up with small qtys like mine.

Thanks, any comments from someone who uses a Siro are appreciated.
    John Allin

John and Jared,
    Thanks that's good information. I have seen bothe plate presses and the Siro. I liked what I seen with the Sirofilter system. Our maple syrup hobby is not big. We have a little more sap this year, (helping boil for two neighbors) about 1000 taps. We made 20 gallons several days this year and the gravity filters need cleaned several times. So started looking at different presses'. I realize they all work basicly the same unfiltered syrup and filter aid in one end and filtered syrup out the other. Both plates press and the Siro have advantages and disadvantages.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

If I had to make syrup without a filter press I would want to quit after gravity filtering for many years and going to a press 6 or 7 so years ago.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Chris,
    That the Siro was all contained in one cylinder, made the difference for me, it just seemed to be simpler. Setting up is just a matter of wrapping the inner cylinder with the filter, securing with 2 rubber O-rings and setting back down into the main cylinder. Put the top back on, tighten the T Bolt and you're ready to go- cleaning is just the reverse. When I looked at plate presses and all the pieces and parts, with syrup dripping out as you broke it apart, it didn't take too long to decide. As I said, it's done a great job and is probably being under-used in our operation, but I would not consider any thing else at this point.

I did break it all down and had it anodized before I used it though as the thought of mill finished aluminum in contact with my syrup didn't appeal to me. It cleans up just like stainless, and there is no possibility of any metallic taste being transferred to our syrup. If you're in the market for a press, I would highly recommend it.
    John Allin

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Jared, Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who also has a Siro Press.

Question. As I normally only filter about 3 gallons at a time, do you think I could leave the "trapped" syrup in the siro overnight, and then pick up again with the next day's boil, and run fresh hot syrup through?

If I had it; I'm sure I could get a lot more than 3 gallons through before cleaning, but I don't know if syrup left overnight in the filter would spoil. Not that tearing it down is difficult, it's just the time spent and the re-circulating that adds up with small qtys like mine.

Thanks, any comments from someone who uses a Siro are appreciated.
    Neither one the Siro or a Plate press will work if you leave syrup in over night. In that case what I would do is draw it off and reheat it the next time you boil then filter it. Same scenario works if the filter clogs at the end of the night. What I like most about the Siro is that it very easy to clean and although it can filter large amounts of syrup before needing to be cleaned it also is a lot less cleaning if you don't have much to filter. Do the reclaiming procedure and then take the filter out and wash it. They say they actually works better if you don't get them 100% clean because it uses the sand in the syrup to filter. Watch the video on youtube keywords Lapierre Siro, Ennis Maple also has a video on Twitter.

If you want a deal on a Siro get a hold of Bud Bowers @ Brookfield Maple Products, Westfield PA cell 570-439-0969.
    Last edited by unc23win; 03-28-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    Jared

Thanks for the feedback. Since the syrup left in the Siro is not all that much, recirculating into the flue pan, as I do now, sounds like the right way to go so I'll continue with that method. How often do you replace your filters? I'm pretty fussy about that and only use them for about 2 weeks - don;t want them getting musty..
    John Allin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast