+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waiting patiently....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben View Post
    If misery loves company, it has been slow in Isanti also. I have about 82 taps out and have gathered about 50 gallons of sap total. It seems as though some trees are doing well, but others are bone dry. Are we still too early?
    I feel your pain Big Ben....I've had thirteen taps out in the Cambridge area since the first weekend in march and have only collected 2.5 gallons...But it hydroed at 3%....These trees are all silvers ranging from some three tap trees down to 1 tap trees....Hope they let loose soon.

Tim

Looking better today. Of 120 sugars I have tapped, a handful that catch the best sun are starting to get a little wetness showing. The silver in my yard is doing 15-15 drops a minute this afternoon.

I just got in from checking taps most not doing much, a couple dripping nicely. This has gotta be go time starting tomorrow. Weather forecast looks good from here on out. It's killing me not being able to fire up new to me rig.
    3x8 drop flue
    300 taps on 3/16

Things are getting better! 30+ gallons of sap off of about 50 taps. About 1/3rd havn't made much yet. Tomorrow should be Better! Have about 40 gallons in a snow bank waiting for the next forty then I'll fire off for another boil probably thursday if the weather holds..

Tim

The last couple of days have been pretty decent here too. I got about 30 gallons yesterday and another 37 gallons today. Have about 125 gallons in the snowbank and will probably boil Saturday for the first time this year. Wondering if next week will be too late or if that may also be okay. The forcasted night temperature are a bit worrisome...
    Good luck to all!!

Hey Duff.....I'm in Forest Lake as well. I pulled about 15 gallons off of 50 taps....although only about 1/3rd of them were producing. Many of the trees that are under snow pack or in the shade haven't done squat yet. Made 8 gallons of syrup in 2011....and with last year's bust....I'm hoping to at least get a few gallons under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shovel View Post
    Hey Duff.....I'm in Forest Lake as well. I pulled about 15 gallons off of 50 taps....although only about 1/3rd of them were producing. Many of the trees that are under snow pack or in the shade haven't done squat yet. Made 8 gallons of syrup in 2011....and with last year's bust....I'm hoping to at least get a few gallons under my belt.
    Hello Doug,
    Boiled off what I had on hand and reduced it to almost syrup. Shut down and collected early around 3 pm. Pulled about 15 gallons from around the neighborhood. I collected off two large silvers in St. Paul this morning around 9 am, about 5 gallons there. Drove back down to check them out because at 9am they were already starting to drip, both 5 gallon buckets were almost full!
    Good luck to you,

Tim

Hey guys,
    Collected enough this morning to top off my 44 gallon storage container! One sap sack with 2 taps was over flowing! Headding out to gather in St.paul .....Counting my chickens, they should be full too!

Good luck everyone,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dufftj View Post
    Hey guys,
    Collected enough this morning to top off my 44 gallon storage container! One sap sack with 2 taps was over flowing! Headding out to gather in St.paul .....Counting my chickens, they should be full too!

Good luck everyone,
    Tim
    Just don't count your chickens before they are hatched! Good luck.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

how is everyone's silvers looking? are they starting to get buddy? I tasted some silver sap last night and it had a stronger woody/buddy taste to it. I got a bit worried so I grabbed a cup or so of the sap and boiled it. the steam didn't smell funky and after letting the cup boil down to a tablespoon or so, the sap tasted sweet with no off/funky taste to it. So i think it's still good stuff. maybe the warm weather yesterday had something to do with it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast