+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre heater drip tray ideas

Default Pre heater drip tray ideas

I built a copper parallel flow pre heater and now need to build a pan to catch the drips off of it. Any ideas or pics out there. Would like to make it so the steam comes through it not around because I will not have a hood.its 12in wide and 30in long with 5 passes.

pre heaters without a hood give up a huge portion of what is possible. Why not make even a crude hood to contain the steam? It need not be fancy to help a lot.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How could I make a crud hood that's half way food grade on a budget? If I was to make a hood I would still need a drip pan. Once again any pics?

Doesnt really need to be food grade, never will touch sap or syrup. Use some plastic sheeting, 2x2's, and some osb. I have seen plastic gutters used on the drip edge. Really a preheater is a waste of time and money without some way of holding heat around it.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Baird,
    Check out Jim Schumacher's site - Smokey Lake Maple - he makes a drip pan for just what you're doing he also fabs up a nice preheater to go along with it. Picture below of one he has on the other site for a 2x4 priced at $315.

Smokey lake pre heater drip tray.jpg

I'm with you, any heat is better than none as far as preheating. You may not be as efficient as a steam hood set up, but you've got the steam so why not use it. Good luck.

Food grade is important, you still stand a chance of some condensation dripping back into the flue pan...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Would it work to build a hood out of aluminum roofing? Would that be better he galvanized metal? Any other sugestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bairdswift View Post
    Would it work to build a hood out of aluminum roofing? Would that be better he galvanized metal? Any other sugestions?
    I was wondering the same thing....
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

Default Copper pipe

Since you made the preheated out of copper pipe why not use copper pipe for the catch grid also just split some 3/4 pipe and basicly repeat the preheater assembly with half pipes should work great to catch the condensation from the preheater

I plan on having the pre heater at an angle. Could I get away wih having the drip tray only on the lower and thinking is that the drips would run down hill to the low end and collect there? Or will it drip the whole length of the pre heater?

I'm thinking if you can get some 20 gauge stainless cut into 6 @ 3x30" strips and fold them 90 degrees along their length, you can make a light weight drip tray that will allow the steam to circulate around your preheater. Line 5 of the strips up at the spacing of your preheater runs and hold them together with cross pieces as needed V V V V V . Put the last channel across one end so that the others run into it. Direct the ends off to the sides of your evaporator. Mount it with the same front to back slope as the preheater and a bit of a side to side slope and you're done. Drips will drop into the channel, run down to the end, and off to the side. You can collect in a pail or run onto the ground.

Try it like that to start, and add a hood later when you want.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

+ Reply to Thread