+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Never say never!

Default Never say never!

Well looks like Illinois made it on the board!!

Started tapping today. Got about 150 out this morning. Had a few drops but don't expect much till
    tuesday at the earliest. If the weather forecast holds up, should run well for most of the week.

Hope there are a few other Illinoisians out there. Lets here it.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

Flat,

We are in Northern IL, We tapped in about mid- week and finished up today. Some were dripping but not too much action yet. The wind is pretty strong from the South today so I'd say no collection tonight. We've got the sugarhouse ready to go, woods stacked, tanks and lines all flushed, just need sap!

Maplemounder
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

Default first runs

I finished tapping last Monday. 324 taps in this year, don't know if I will add more or not.

We had a good run mid week and again this weekend. We had
    +50 degrees today and it didn't freeze last night. Sap is slowing down. Don't know if it will freeze tonight or not. Temps are supposed to cool down this week. This should keep the run going.

First run made 2.5%, been holding at 2.2 for this weekend. Have 8 gallons finished and I'm working on another 4 -5 gallons before I settle in for the evening.

Hope you have a good run this week. I know the northwest IL is a lot different than central. Good Luck.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

I am thinking of tapping this week however this weekend is suppose to go below freezing. I am just not sure if I should tap yet or not. BTW I am 30 miles south of Chicago.

Collected sap on Sunday and today, ran the evaporator tonight, had a local group come through for a tour so it was nice to be running while they visited. Wish we had syrup to sell yet but it will be a couple more days. Tomorrow and Thursday look like good days but then highs are suppose to drop to the mid 20's until Monday. I think we will pull everything out of the evaporator on Friday and finish and bottle. Then we’ll get ready to go back at it first of the week.

Flat, 300 means you are quite a bit bigger than us, are all of your trees hards or do you tap some silvers too?

Dark, we are 100 miles straight west on North Ave. so we are fairly close as far as North & South. I would maybe tap this weekend, things should start running first of the week if Skilling's forecast is right.
    Last edited by MapleMounder; 02-12-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD

Hey Mounder

I tap all sugars. Only have a couple of silver maples on the farm. I cooked yesterday and I am at it again today. Really expect a big run today. It warmed up quickly this morning and will get near 50 today. Still running over 2% so I think the trees made a lot of sugar last growing season because of the drought, much like the grapes and black berries.

I haven't had any groups out in a long time. The kids got older and the schools can't afford day trips any more. Plan to have an open house sometime soon. Usually have a big brunch and lots of fun.

Dark - I would tap as as soon as you can now. I think even with the freezing weather we are predicted to have it won't hurt to have your taps in and ready to go. Just don't drive them in too hard with the frozen wood so you don't split the tap hole. You can always return to seat them a little tighter later on.

Good luck all. Keep us posted thru the season.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

Talking

Flat,

We're about 25% silvers and the rest are hards. Trees were running pretty decent today. Sitting in the sugarhouse with the evaporator running right now. We should burn through all the sap by 10:30 or so. Starting to get nice color in the pan.

We have 125 first graders coming at the end of the month, as well as a couple 4H clubs are scheduled. Our kids are still in school so they think it's pretty cool when the school has a field trip to their house.

I think an open house would be awesome, we have talked about it for some time, hopefully we can get it done next year. Have a breakfast, give tours, sucker a whole bunch of friends and family to help.
    Last edited by MapleMounder; 02-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD

Default Tap Dates in Illinois

My tap dates:
    2007: Feb. 21 (10 taps)
    2008: Mar. 1 (24 taps)
    2009: Mar. 3 (33 taps)
    2010: Feb. 27 (33 taps)
    2011: Feb. 13 (33 taps)
    2012: Feb. 19 (33 taps)
    2013: ??? (33 taps)

I collect after work during the weekdays and boil on the weekends. I'm currently limited by the 10gph I get from my homemade ovens.

30 miles SW of Chicago.
    IMG_8362.jpg

Sapster,

Pretty cool little set up you got there.
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD

Thanks MapleMounder. I've been trying to improve every year since 2007 (steam tray sitting on a shelf rack over an open campfire) through trial and error.

I'm really glad to have found this site. I thought there would be others in Illinois who were doing this, but I never knew how to find them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast