+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUGARHOUSE WOOD SHED

Fred, about the hickory, a neighbour just cut a bunch down , he said
    they were diseased and had warts on them. I have some hickory trees in the fence rows etc. some have those lumps, I thought they were kind
    of a burrell or something. I never worried about them or cut a tree
    down for that reason. What are they?
    120 buckets, and 18x48 Dom.Grimm pan, 14X24 preheater pan ;10gph

I am not sure either what they are in the hickory trees. I must have been told but I probably forgot. The one I cut for fire wood did not have them but 30 feet away another bigger older tree does. That is going to fire wood also as part of my thinning plan. The warts, burrels or what ever does not sem to hurt the wood if you want to take a log out for sawing. I have in the past made outdoor furtinure from hickory . It is one tough wood.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I think I used that Vermont book to design our sugarhouse and it was very helpful. The part about the wood shed not being cement is not clear but I would guess cost was the reason. We used the basic 16 x 24 foot layout but added a 10 x 24 woodshed. I did not cement the wood shed mainly because I can never keep it free of wood long enough and because I am cheap. I have good heavy pallets for the floor and all the wood junk falls through and I never have to clean it.
    One thing I did not agree with in the Vermont book was that the side walls only need to be 8 foot. I designed ours at 10 feet to allow a lean to addition and the extra headroom in the boiling room would allow the easy addition of a steamaway.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I know that when I rebuilt my sugarhouse a few years ago I added a concrete floor but did not poor it over the wood storage area which is about 225 square feet. The only reason I didn't do it was because of the cost. And with concrete over $90/yd. I'd certainly not do it.
    As for any other reason I don't know.
    Keith

Default cement floor

Thanks for all the replies. Chris, I was thnking of a 10 foot ceiling also. I am also looking for wood handling ideas. I plan on visiting several wood fired sugarhouses to get some ideas that will help minimize the handling of wood. If anyone has any input on that I would appreciate it.
    JACK
    2.5 x 8 stainless raised flue with preheater.
    60 buckets,365 vacuum
    600 D&G RO
    Lots of tractors--not much time...

Some have a small set of tracks from the arch to the shed and run a cart on the tracks.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

We use wood pallets to stack and move our firewood. We figure we get between 2 singles and a full chord on each pallet - I've never measured it exactly to figure it out. The rails under the wood are 4x4 hemlock and they have a 4x4 under them in the same direction as the wood to get it up off the ground so we can get the forks of the tractor under them to move it. We stack them 2 high in the wood shed.

Send me a PM and I'll e-mail a pic of one to you.[/img]

Jack,
    Most of my stuff is 'sugarhouse improvised'.
    For the wood handling: First I made the wood shed floor match the level of the concrete in the evaporator room. Cheryl had purchased a 4 wheel (wire bottom and sides) wagon for general garden use. I found this so handy for moving wood I bought another. I fitted the front and back end gate with 3/4 x 6 x 30 inch high wooden gate extensions and it tripled the capacity of the wagon. Easy to load/ and I pull it right up to the evaporator so that it is with in easy reach for firing directly from it. The newer wagons have a wider foot print and may be more stable. These are the $75 wagons from TSC or Lowes.
    I can boil for about 35- 45 minutes on a wagon load of pallets and about double that with chunk wood.

I also use them to haul bee boxes back and forth to the apiary. Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Pete33Vt Guest

Alot of people around here use old manure track out of barns and build a cart to handle the wood. Just load it up and push it around to the front of your rig. All you have to do is open a door the throw wood ight into your arch. Also have seen people use a rack built to hold a couple firings worth of wood also in front of your arch. Just load up the rack, then when it comes time to fire open two small doors and throw into arch. This way keeps the wood at just the right height. Not so much bending over.

I bought one of those garden carts from Northern. They cost around $100 and hold 1000 lbs. I made wood rack sides for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast