+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUGARHOUSE WOOD SHED

Default SUGARHOUSE WOOD SHED

In a booklet I got from Bascom's about "Sugarhouse Design" that is written by the University of VT it states on the plans for the 16 x 24 sugarhouse that concrete floor is "not recommended" for the wood shed. Does anyone know why???????
    JACK
    2.5 x 8 stainless raised flue with preheater.
    60 buckets,365 vacuum
    600 D&G RO
    Lots of tractors--not much time...

Only a guess, but cost?
    120 buckets, and 18x48 Dom.Grimm pan, 14X24 preheater pan ;10gph

I can only think of the concrete drawing moisture from the ground. I use my sugarhouse for about 1/2 of my wood storage and will be adding a concrete floor this year. In the future I plan to add an open sided extension to the sugarhouse with gravel floor for wood but that is a couple of years off.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My guess would be moisture. I got a leanto off one side of mine for wood and a dirt floor. I put cedar slabs on for a stockade like look and the wood dries very well. Smells kind of sour out there right now beacuse of all the Hickory I just put into it.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I would guess it would be cause of moisture,,I know my sugarhouse floor will get very damp during the summer if the weather is just right,,I would guess that if you put some pallets down and stacked your wood on top of that it would take care of the problem,,,I would like to pour concrete for my sugar house woodshed BUT it is 20'x40',,,,and that is a lot on $$$ I would rather spend on tubing at this point,,,
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

I don't understand. How can a concrete floor produce more moisture than a bare dirt floor? My guess would be cost. There is no need for concrete under stacks of wood.

concrete should not draw moisture from the ground, but it does from the air if the conditions are right. I f you have a cool concrete slab and hot humid air, water will condense on the concrete and this could cause the wood to have a higher moisture content. This happens here in the mountains alot on hot humid days rocks in the forest "sweat" sometimes making it hard to get around without slipping.

SoCondensation may be the biggest part but why do codes call for plastic vapor barrier under concrete if moisture is not drawn or wicked from the ground? Can it just be for Radon leaching?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

sorry, forgot to add if concrete is poured/installed correctly, ie plastic, perimeter drains, thoroseal, etc.

I have several inches of gravel in my wood storage area and in my opinion, gravel would be better than anything else. The 24x48 section of my building which is the sugarhouse is all concrete, about 6" thick.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast