+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High heat paint question

Default High heat paint question

Hello fellow DIY'ers, I have a question about using high heat paint on the 55 gallon drum evaporator that I am building. Do I have to strip the factory (non high heat) paint off the barrel before spraying with rustoleum high heat spray paint. From the pics I have seen of other peoples barrel builds, it looks like they just clean the outside of the barrel and spray right over the existing paint. My worry is that after all my hard work, the paint underneath would blister or bubble. My other worry is using paint stripper, which anybody who has used it knows is Nasty stuff, on my evaporator.

On a side note, the only barrel I could find locally has a removable head. The rim of the head has a rubber gasket used to seal the barrel. Do you think I can leave that in place, or should I pull it out and replace it with arch gasket rope or maybe weld the head right to the barrel.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

Definitely pull out the rubber gasket. If you insulate well enough with ceramic blanket and bricks your paint should be fine except maybe on and around the door.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

I ran a sander over the barrel to remove most of it
    but I also insulated it very well
    The high heat paint is awesome still all there after 3 seasons

My solution to not wanting to sand my barrel setup was to fire it up first without insulation... cooked the paint right off...then wire brushed and painted and it stayed on fine from then on. Of course if it's well insulated like 70Buick mentioned it likely won't get too hot anyway...

You could also run it one season without painting it. It won't rust and then you can scrape and paint it later. My dryer arch burned off a ton of paint last season and then I brushed it and painted at the end of the season while the pans were off it.

Have fun and the barrel arch is the greatest way to get started next to a block arch... of course you will upgrade
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

I say burn baby burn right now not insulated, that should get any paint that will bubble later, getter now, then sand a bit get it smooth and then use the high heat paint.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

Burning is a great idea to cinder the paint quickly (like a self-cleaning oven). Just be aware that to run it without insulation all season will roast your nuts more than expected (if you know what I mean). Especially, keep little kids clear when the fire is going.
    Happy Tappin!!

Mark Dadian
    55 gal drum and SS sink
    2011 - 7 taps = 2 gallons (I started 2 weeks b4 the season ended)
    2012 - 25 = 4 gallons (I started 2 weeks b4 the season started)
    2013 - hope for more than 50 = ????
    Building my own Franken-arch from a 275 gal oil drum, approx 2 x 8 with a system (lol) of 4 pans
    (Pix to follow if not too embarassing)
    Just put up a lean-to off my garage to keep out of the rain, etc.

+ Reply to Thread