+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filter Press or Sirofilter?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverValleySugarhouse View Post
    So what do you guys mean by precharging the filter press? Add some then run it through, then add more filter aid the second time around.? So if I had say 10 gals mix in roughly 2 cups of filter aid? My drawoff setup only holds like 10-12 gals. Also once the papers cool you can't run more hot syrup threw or can you?? Say an hour after the first batch???
    Your first run thru the press, it is critical to coat the papers well, as this is what actually does the filtering. As far as cool down on the press, I cover mine between drawoffs to keep the heat in....
    http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/...sort=ascendingConan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals

You want at least 3 cups of filter aid in the first batch. More as the season progresses. after the first batch you will only add a little. It is the first batch that is the most critical. You need to keep the nitre and other contaminates away from the paper. Slowly adding the syrup is another critical step, keep the pressure low, the higher the pressure the more likely to have problems.
    Thad

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

When people first start using a filter press, the most common problem is not using enough DE or not pre-charging the press properly. If you're blowing papers, chances are you're either: 1) not using enough DE (are the plates full when you break it down), 2) you aren't pre-charging the press (so the papers are clogging due to lack of DE as the filter media), 3) it was too cold and you started it up too fast, or 4) some combination of the above. The DE is the actual filter media, not the papers, so if you don't have enough, it'll clog quickly, raising the pressure, and blowing papers.

If the press cools off between batches, use a bypass valve to slowly ramp up the amount of syrup going through the press until it gets nice and hot again. Some people put their press nice and close to the arch between batches to keep them warm.

There is definitely a learning curve to using a filter press, but once you've got it dialed in, you get fabulous results in terms of crystal clear, sparkling syrup that you will be real proud to put in a glass bottle.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

we have had a sirofilter for years. i would never go back to a plate press again. we can easily do a barrel or two before changing felts(which takes about 3min). if you want to go faster get two canisters and just swap them out. takes about 15seconds and you are going again
    western territory manager for h2o innovation
    past professional tubing installer
    16x32 heavy timber frame sugarhouse
    2600 taps on vacuum
    [url]www.photobucket.com/grossmanbrothers[/url
    www.ohiomapleproducts.com

Jason,
    I'm getting a 12" sirofilter from Jim Cermak. Been using felt cone filters for 7 years and wanted to get away from the mess and improve my syrup. Always used 4-5 orlon pre-filters on top of the felt and peeled them off as they got plugged...what a pain. We made nice clear syrup and have always used glass, but it's about to get even clearer.

From what I've seen and read - it's the right choice- and thanks for your input, it help me choose the siro.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

If you have a filter press, just learn to properly use it, don't even consider buying something else. When you know how a filter press will give you super results and you will not blow papers.
    Yes, run mor filter aid for the first syrup thru a new set of papers, then you can use less until the hollow plates become full. At 11-12 gal you will not fill the plates on a 3 bank. Then for any repeat use the same production day, just do as Dr. Tim says, start slowly, with the bypass opened and as the syrup starts to get warm out the discharge from the filter (not the bypass) slowly oclose the bypass. Keep an eye on the pressure, for mine I use 40 PSI max, as the plates get hot again you can close the bypass more, but slowly. The warm up might take a couple of minutes from first flow out of clean syrup until full flow.
    However, if you are sold on a siro filter, send me the junker you have, I'll scrap it for you!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have a 10" press and usually finish about 10 to 15 gallons at a time. We put about 2 cups of DE in each batch. A typical boil for us is about 60 gallons and most often this goes through OK except at the end of the season we may have to change the papers. Last year we quit when we couldn't get the syrup through the press at all (The CV's still were running strong though).

Thanks guys for all the advice. Things are starting to make sense. My girlfriend and I always dread the filtering. This might be a dumb question but after every night you have to change the filters right??? Or can you wait t'll the next night when you make syrup and slowy add hot syrup.?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverValleySugarhouse View Post
    Thanks guys for all the advice. Things are starting to make sense. My girlfriend and I always dread the filtering. This might be a dumb question but after every night you have to change the filters right??? Or can you wait t'll the next night when you make syrup and slowy add hot syrup.?
    Wash/change the filters daily. Once the press cools, you will need to do the process over again; heat the syrup to 190, mix in the filter aid (may be more than recommended, your own tests will tell just as we experienced), recirculate until filters are charged with DE (syrup will start to come out discharge hose clear instead of a cloudy DE mix) until clear, then run the syrup into your canning/bottling unit. If you want to check for clarity while recirculating, just run a little syrup in a clean glass bottle/jar and check for desired clarity...the end result should be amazingly clear. Dr. Tim is spot on, once you get it, it's super nice and clear. Good luck. Don't throw the press out the window!! )
    English River Maple

A family operation

*16'x28' Sugarhouse
    *WF Mason 30"x8' drop tube, w/blower & preheater
    *1000 taps

http://s1187.photobucket.com/home/AnctilFamilyMaple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12