+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on vacuum tubing installation on level ground

Default Need advice on vacuum tubing installation on level ground

I can get about 700 taps from trees that are pretty much in a 2000 ft. straight line (trees no more than 50 ft. from center of line and most much closer than that) on level ground. Would be easy if there was some slope but there isn't. Also because of flooding I will need to keep the lines high (water can easily be 4 ft or more deep when river floods). Obviously I will need to use vacuum because of no slope. Do you think this can be done and what type of tubing system do I need?

Is it generally flat? Or like up hill? If its fairly flat it shouldn't be a problem, with the high water, you could even have some lines underwater ain't it will be "vacuum tight" (yes I know there be some leaks) but its possible if you need to have them under water when it floods, but as long as you keep it high enough you should be fine with very little slope, you may need a sap ladder or to get to your releaser though
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by spencer11 View Post
    Is it generally flat? Or like up hill? If its fairly flat it shouldn't be a problem, with the high water, you could even have some lines underwater ain't it will be "vacuum tight" (yes I know there be some leaks) but its possible if you need to have them under water when it floods, but as long as you keep it high enough you should be fine with very little slope, you may need a sap ladder or to get to your releaser though
    It is generally flat. Almost no slope from one end to the other. How high above the lines can I have the pump before I would need a ladder? A neighbor told me I would need to run a "dry" line and a "wet" line. What determines if one needs both or is that true for any vacuum pump system?

With that number of taps yes you would probably need a dry line, I haven't run one since I don't have enough taps but there are some threads on that, you could have the releaser a couple feet higher than the end of the mainline, but you will get lower vac levels, to get enough slope on your mainline you wi probably need a couple ladders depending on how long the line is
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Wet and Dry line system you run 2 manlines parallel to each other one directly above the other about 1 to 2 feet apart from each other they run from your releaser to the end of your run to a booster or a manifold. A booster or manifold will make the two lines meet and make a loop.

The bottom line the wet lines has taps going into while the top line dry remains solid with no taps. The top line the dry will help maintain vacuum to the farthest point while the bottom line the wet will collect the sap. If the bottom line the wet freezes and the sap starts to run it will back up and go down the top dry line until the wet line unthaws. A lot of people run vacuum on a slope 1% or less.
    Jared

Do you have to run it end to end or could you have your releaser in the middle and run 1000 feet each way? If so, that would help your slope/hieght issue.

If a river runs along it there must be some slope.
    Leader 3x8 Patriot raised flue
    800 taps on vacuum
    100 buckets around the yard
    A lot of help to make it fun

Im not sure if it will help in your case but I had pretty much flat land so I dug a hole for my tank to sit in with my releaser on top. It worked for me. Mabey you could lower your lines for the season then raise them up high the rest of the year. I do this in one of my neibors woods because they dont mind the look of the lines but want to walk thier dogs in the woods in the summer.
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

On a wet/dry system laterals do not enter the wet line. Mains come off the wet line and the laterals enter the main. Then where the main enters the wet dry several methods can be used. Originally a manifold was used with a large tee for the main to enter, and sap will fall to the wet line, air (gasses) rise to the dry line. A newer and simpler method is to use a tee in the main with the side outlet facing up. To this connect a line to loop up and then go to the dry line, at either another tee or down stream a few feet to a Y. The sap in the main then flows to a tee or Y to enter the wet line. This is simpler and far less problems if a tree yanks any parts. Many a manifold have been broken as they get yanks hard as a tree or big limb falls near by. If you use the latter method, run the wet tee or Y with a slight angle up toward the first tee so if any air or gasses get into the wet line the vacuum can draw them out to the separator tee and flow to the dry line. Valves on each are good to have. Size the dry line 1 larger than the wet line. Both wet and dry are run into the releaser.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You could always use a step ladder and put your taps high up in the tress to create your own slope, saving thousands on a vac system. Killing two birds with one stone create a slope and protect you lines from the flood waters which would no doubt rip your lines apart. Yes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast