+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soldering stainless

Default Soldering stainless

Hi all, i've completed my preheater and drip pan. Now I have to solder the corners of my drip pan. The pan is made out of light Stainless. I've been looking at fluxes(which I can't find anywhere for stainless)and have thought of making my own out of Borax,potash and table salt. Has anyone had any luck or thoughts on Soldering stainless? also copper to stainless?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I used a liquid flux for my stainless repairs. I have it in sugarhouse can look tomorrow. Solder a copper fitting to a stainlees pan bfore no problem, just use enough heat to pull the solder. Silver solder I believe but I will check.
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

I saw some in the Bascom catalogue.

Search online for "stay-clean" liquid flux. It works fine for stainless, I've used it many times.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Stat clean is what I used, with silver solder. Use a soldering iron, not a torch. A torch can work but an iron is far better. In fact 3 irons. Have an oven heated by the flames of a turkey frier burner and get 1 red hot, use it, then put back in the oven and use the next. Keep rotating irons. To clean an iron, file to shinny, then heat it red hot and rub it on some "sal ammoniac", then the iron will hold the solder well, and deposit it on the joint being soldered. If you must use a torch, don't hold the flame in 1 spot, keep it moving. If you can apply the flame from behind, it works best. Get it just hot enough to melt the solder, don't overheat. I have successfully done it both ways, the iron method is far better. 1 iron will work if you can't come up with 2 or 3. (I have over a dozen, different sizes and shapes, sorry, not for sale.)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks guy's. The stainless that I used is not new but isn't too bad for being clean. But...how do I clean the corners that are about to be soldered? I can't get in there with a wire brush or sandpaper. I can soda blast it and I have some stainless pipeline cleaner that we used on the milk lines. Then use the flux. Hopefully that will work fine. OR.... take it to a Rad shop and have them do it for me. I just like doing things for myself that's all. You know...Anything to save money!!!
    Last edited by Maritimer; 01-16-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    600 trees on line
    new LaPierre vision 2 1/2x10 evaporator
    Kubota L5450 wood gatherer
    450 Rhyno gopher
    8 Antique tractors
    One very very understanding wife

when i was soldering last night, i use a soldering iron to melt the solder on the spot i need then use the torch to smooth it out and fill any little holes
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Here is a link to a webpage with some stainless steel soldering tips. Stay Clean flux is hard to find in this province.

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=150
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

+ Reply to Thread