+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started in Eastern Oh

Default Started in Eastern Oh

Tapped into my yard trees as a test run on the Tuesday(Jan 7) and they are really dripping. So I couldnt resist and started some of my smaller bucket lines down at our bush. Time to start gathering. Our 10 day shows after this weekend of too warm nights, it will be perfect sapping weather through next week.

Our friend needed some $$ this summer so we bought their freezer. Just going to freeze what we get in buckets until we get a lot, or end up getting in all the taps. Coming on line slowly adding taps to the mainline we put up this year.

Got a 10 point buck during muzzleloader season so thats all done and in the other freezer. time to get busy.

100_3015.jpg
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

Glad to see I am not the only one with itch around here. I tapped a yard tree a few days ago and will probably put out some more taps today.

I live outside of Arcanum (about 30 min. NW of Dayton). This is my first year of sugaring. Curiosity got the best of me on the morning of 1-11-13, so I tapped a few trees. They were drip, drip, dripping. Tapped a few more trees. A lot more dripping. By noon I had 22 taps out. The next day I collected roughly 35 gallons of sap. I evaporated into the night and ended up finishing approximately a gallon of syrup. Then experienced the sugar sand dilemma when bottling. The next morning I figured out where I went wrong in the filtering/bottling process (too hot) and reconfigured my procedure. For the beginning of my rookie season I had a blast! Even though it was nearly 90 degrees in my sugar shack on Saturday.
    I look forward to putting out more taps and processing more sap a little later. We're currently below freezing today.

Sounds like JBaker got the bug. Welcome.

It got cold here again so the sap slowed down today. didnt get enough to fire up the evaporator but its all in the freezer waiting until we get enough. Maybe when the weather changes again that will be the real season.
    SevenCreeksSap

we've slowly been adding laterals to the top of the hill and have 170 tapped, and shooting for 200 this year instead of 300. I have a feeling that will be enough to handle. Had a good run this weekend and going to have the first boil today. time to empty the freezer.
    SevenCreeksSap

with the first run we ended up with 3 1/2 gallons of nice grade A light, the stuff I love. Finished it at home over the weekend and still need to bottle it. last night I cleaned out the pans because there was frozen water in them from chasing the sweet out, and my caged tank was empty at 5:30. with the warm night I checked it today, and had 80 gallons of fresh sap. nice night time run I guess. Boiling that down now. got cold again today, so might be a little break to get ready for the weekend. forecast looks great after friday for the next week. I saved 2 weeks of vacation to make syrup, and it starts friday. looks like I couldn't have timed it better.
    SevenCreeksSap

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I live outside of Arcanum
    Hello J. Baker, We are nearly neighbors. I am in West Milton. And I have a question. I have racoons nibbling the corners of all my sap saks and they have ruined them. New ones ordered and should be in today. Does anyone know how to deter these furry friends (or not so friends). We are trialing hot sauce sprayed on them, but with no sap remaining in the holey bags, no way to tell. I haven't read anything about other tappers having this trouble. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have read on here that some place a length of duct tape along the bottom seam to deter squirrels. Maybe it would work on coons.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Completed my first boil last weekend 300 gal sap bottled 7 gal of nice light syrup. Not running real good this week too cold. Hoping for a good weekend.

Nice 10 pointer.

Oh ya,,great to hear your getting sap.

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast