+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OK to use 5 gallon non-toxic anti-freeze pails for sap?

Quote Originally Posted by Stamford sugarmaker View Post
    Everybody happy???

Anybody else?

Peter
    I'm sincerely sorry that you took offense Peter when almost to a person we answered no. Yours was not an unreasonable question. As mentioned before we've certainly seen worse. But to ask if we're having fun??? Are you kidding? We're too busy trying to protect one of the few small agrarian industries left in the US, one that has been enjoyed by families through many generations. Unfortunately, it is coming under more and more federal and state scrutiny in order to insure that the product is safe and that makes it harder to stay small.

That said, we're generally a friendly bunch but we like our product kept pure. Sap should always be handled like milk and the baby formula reference is a darn good one imho, no kidding around!

Peter, Welcome to the Maple Trader.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

food grade anti freeze why yes there is next time you go to those anti gun Mcdonalds or any fast food joint look at the ketchup packets. Some of them have propylene glycol in them certified by the FDA go figure.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

I actually thought you guys were pretty calm. A lot different than my first reaction reading the thread title
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Quote Originally Posted by Stamford sugarmaker View Post
    I have some new 5 gallon pails that contained non-toxic anti freeze and was wondering if I can use them to gather sap, etc. They are propylene glycol cryo-tek-100 buckets with corrosion inhibitors from Hercules. Should they be washed out with anything special beyond hot water and soap?

Anybody done this before? Results?

thanks, Peter
    Are you for real? No wonder we all have to register with the FDA!

rg maple,

No I am not real, that's why I aspire to be as perfect as you.

Are there standards of knowledge that one must have before asking questions on this forum? How many folks out there will now hesitate to ask a question because they don't want to be dissed by the self-righteous after seeing this thread? Is that what you folks really want?

I wasn't sure about something so I asked a group that is more experienced with stuff like this. A few simple, "Nah, probably not a good idea!" responses would have sufficed.

I would like to thank the members that PM'ed me to say not to be concerned too much about the bashing that would take place. I'm not. I have learned a lot from the forum and expect to do so in the future. And I will continue to ask questions.

Peter
    1991-1993 traded sap for syrup, 30 taps
    1994 small flat pan outdoors 30 taps
    1995 barrel stove, small pan outdoors 30 taps
    1996-2011 homemade 2 X 4, sugarhouse, 50 taps
    2012 new 2 X 4, 60 taps

I understand where your coming from. I make steel pails for a living And was planing on using them my first year until I started to ask some friends about it. They are far from food grade! Good think I asked!!

Stamford, do a search on my call name and you will see some questions Mr. But hope you have all night cause it will take you a solid week of all nights just to get thru them..haha.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Peter, I can see how you felt belittled after reading all of these posts. Not that I would condone using anti-freeze buckets, but 25 years ago I would have did the same thing and there was no "mapletrader" to go and ask. We at one time many years ago used empty hydraulic oil pails to gather sap with and before I start getting bashed, how many of you's on here did the very same thing?
    Now with that being said, sugarmakers in general have gotten much more quality minded through the years.

In all reality most of the processed big box food today is loaded with mega chemicals and additives, but yet that is all deemed "safe", makes no sense to me.
    I can tell you for a fact there are pallet fulls of 50lbs. bags with skulls and crossbones that gets dumped into batches of pudding in town at a leading, nationally recognized pudding producer. Why is this crap going on? Now can any of you tell me how that would be any different than using washed out antifreeze buckets for gathering. I am just trying to prove a point is all, while still not approving of the practice.
    Last edited by markcasper; 01-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

[QUOTE=Stamford sugarmaker;198818]rg maple,

No I am not real, that's why I aspire to be as perfect as you.

Are there standards of knowledge that one must have before asking questions on this forum? How many folks out there will now hesitate to ask a question because they don't want to be dissed by the self-righteous after seeing this thread? Is that what you folks really want?

Agreed i probably 1 of the top 10 or so biggest producers on here and i still dont know everything
    Like you ive been dissed on by some of the jerks on this site but theres alot of good people on here to
    Such as therron and thad both helped me alot. Remember there's no such thing
    As a stupid question. If i can help you in any way pm me or facebook im on that alot
    Its shane hickey with the new holland tractor for my pro file picture. Good luck this spring

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast