+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tapping

Anybody tapped in southern Ohio? If so, how much did you get per tap on Saturday January 19? We haven't tapped yet and I'm afraid we missed a nice run.

My sugarbush is on a North facing hillside, so with the cold weather the trees haven't really got a good chance to thaw out. I have 40 taps in right now, on the 19th I collected 55 gal. Works out to be 1.375 gal per tap.

will be boiling again tonight, did a partial tap on the 12th (30 out of 100). trees ran all last night problly have around 30+ gal. this am . hope they run all day! thinking of going all in first week of feb.

we got ruffly 50-55 gals of sap off 30 buckets,(nice run). unfortunatlly the sugar was only @1.25%. start to finish 4hrs. ended up with dark again, lots & lots of sugar sand in the filters, made just under 1 gal. flaver is very good!

boiled again last night, another nice run. 55-60 gal sap. lots & lots of sugar sand in the filter. looks like this will be it for a little wile, hopfully next week brings back some favorable weather.

Default season is at the back door knocking

just looked at the extended forcast on Accu-Weather and it appears that late nxt week a thaw is coming with temps. in the low to mid 40's with below freezing at night for the nxt 10 days after. hope mother nature agrees!

probly start tapping friday the 8th if the weather liar is telling the truth. still have a boat load of work to do in the shack and woods anyone local test the sugar% yet?
    610 taps on vac system,200 buckets 3x12 small bros raised flue
    custom built aof gassification arch called the "cyclone"
    1984 zetor 6045 4x4 tractor
    cub cadet 4x4 utv
    lots of old mm tractors
    8640 john deere tractor (serious sap hauler)

you are thinking like I am for tapping probably nxt thursday and friday if forcast holds true could be boiling nxt. weekend! If you want to believe any forcasts looks like March could end up warmer than normal which would be a bummer. hope everyone has a great season I'm predicting a normal one for what thats worth!

Default curious

I've been sittting here brousing away when it occurred to me , Where is everyone hardly any posts from ohio producers. I know the saps not running ( maybe by the weekend) so where is everyone? Can you tell how bored I am! Probably going to tap Wed.-Sat have a small amount of work to be ready. Have heard some in this area have tapped but I would expect the majority to join the ranks within the next 10 days if the weather gooroos guess right.

I am planning to tap on Wednesday night for the first time on our farm since 1960. Some of the trees will be the same ones my grandfather tapped in the 30's-60! I can't wait to get it going. This truly is addicting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234