+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what kind of old dairy pump is good

Default what kind of old dairy pump is good

I saw a dairy vacuum pump in a guys barn a few weeks ago when i was borrowing some cattle gates definitely has not been used in a long time. Just looking for info on what I should look for if I go back to check it out.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

my first thought is see if it is rotory, or piston, and if it spins freely. I use a surge sp22. It is a twin piston pump. It will pull 22" continuously, and handle 1800 taps with a tight tubing system. Surge also made an sp11 witch is a single piston. Bothe the surge pumps are very durable. I dont know anything about rotory pumps.
    3x12 drop flue.
    1000 taps on 24 inches of vacuum, and 200 buckets.
    Bought a used springtech 500 GPH RO
    Shooting for 29" of vacuum, less than 5 taps per line, and 2 quarts per tap.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lown-...4713586?ref=hl

One that turns over. Its amazing how you can just walk up and plug in one of those old pumps that haven't milked in decades.
    I borrow an old rotary surge with the original motor . The old guy who refuses to sell it to me, milked cows from the late 50s to the 80s with it. I changed the belt and oil and away we go.
    Any pump is better than no pump.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

I use a surge sp11 piston pump works great just over 500 taps and holds a steady 23 inches of vacuum. very durable. mine works well with a 6 horse gas engine at idle speed the rotary vane pumps have to turn faster though. last season I was getting about 8 hours of run time from one gallon of gas. Like the other guy's said any vac pump is better than no pump.

Massport 5. They are ALL good!!
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

I believe the SP11 pumps are twin piston pumps also, not single cylinder units. And the others are right- all the old dairy pumps will work for sap harvesting and any amount of vacuum is better than no vacuum.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

lpakiz Guest

I use an SP 11 and run it on a 3 1/2 HP gas engine. Plenty of power. About 20-22 hours runtime on 2 1/2 gal gas

Ive been using a generator to run the electric motor on my sp22. The generator uses about 10 gallons of gas a day. I REALLY need to put a small engine on the vacuum pump, and stop using that generator.
    3x12 drop flue.
    1000 taps on 24 inches of vacuum, and 200 buckets.
    Bought a used springtech 500 GPH RO
    Shooting for 29" of vacuum, less than 5 taps per line, and 2 quarts per tap.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lown-...4713586?ref=hl

lpakiz Guest

Michiganfarmer, Some smaller snowblowers and garden tillers had those 3 1/2 HP gas engines. You Need to make sure it is a float type carb, not one with the carb mounted to the gas tank. You need to be able to feed it gas by gravity from a larger tank, mounted above the engine.

+ Reply to Thread