+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1646565758596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Tapping the 2013 Season

RIP 2013!
    We gathered another measly 45 gallons of "good enough" and dumped some others. I finished by pushing thru 30 gallons of water and am all done except finishing a bit from the front pan. 3745 gallons of sap for about 68 gallons of the sweet stuff.
    The buckets and their taps are in the garage waiting for the cleaning.
    I've gotta run the taps and days to see what the per tap numbers are and post all that on the other thread.
    For those of you still able to get product, I hope you can keep it coming in.
    Now I've gotta move some of this stuff!
    For me, all I can say is "what a year"!
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

My final boil was yesterday. 5155gal of sap for the year. I still need to finish what was on the front pan. I did get all the tubing and every tank cleaned with bleach. I also got the evaporator acid cleaned yesterday. Last 5gal of syrup is buddy.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

My sap will probably be done running today. Had a pretty good weekend. The trees did fairly well for me it was a record season 280 gallons of syrup so far. None of it has been dark. Next year I will be looking to get all of my taps on vacuum.

tapped 70 birch yesterday got over 100 gallons of sap already and its running at a steady trickle...on my way up the mountain to start tapping buckets.

Took a night off. I hopefully will get totals in a couple of days. A backyarding neighbor stopped last night. He was talking to the biggest producer in western PA a couple of weeks ago. He made 960gal of syrup in ONE day on one of the warm days in early March!
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Here sit at 2am posting on the Trader because I am still boiling. Got back from Pittsburgh at 12:30 pm and had 3500 gal of sap to boil.then we brought in another 2500.leaving 2000 at the vacuum. Plus whatever is buckets. So I will be boiling awhile. will break 800 before morning.

Randy, Gary, Dave folks,
    We are cleaning equipment and taking a few nights off to relax Lots of records broken this year. Didn't burn anything up or have any broken bones either. Dave you caught up real fast! That's a lot of sap! Gary got in 4 months of season. Randy made a lot of syrup too. I will try to post stats in other post.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just un tapped all the birch trees gathered about 700 gallons of sap half way through cooking it down its looking like it'll end up about 5 gallons. It certainly isn't maple syrup and it surely took WAY longer to cook down . In the end its not bad stuff.We'll see how the little we got sells and decide how many trees we'll tap next year.We'll definitely be finishing off our maple season with a birch season from here out though...

It is a different tree, different sugars & different end use. One has to educate the consumer about any new product & emphasize that it in NOT Maple so it won't taste the same or have the same application. it is used more in cooking than as a table syrup
    Ted T
    BC, Canada
    Kubota 3400 4x4 Tractor
    planning for 250 Birch Trees
    D & G 2x6 Drop Flue Evaporator
    www.moosemeadowsfarm.ca
    Follow Moose Meadows Farm or Canadian Birch Syrup Producers on Facebook

About as soon as we had syrup the wife set to making a birch sauce for chicken and some pumpkin birch cookies...The sauce was really good and the cookies are long gone...lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1646565758596061626364656667 LastLast