+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping the 2013 Season

Thnaks for the offer KVSappers, I think I am done though.
    It would have been cool to say I boiled down 5000 gals but I am done.
    I am looking forward to some lazy time in front of the tv before cleaning everything up.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by NE PA Maple View Post
    Probably closer than you think, I'm over on Meshoppen Creek Rd. about a 1/2 mile from the new gas wells that have recently gone in.
    We are VERY close then. A few miles. How many taps do you have?
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    Thnaks for the offer KVSappers, I think I am done though.
    It would have been cool to say I boiled down 5000 gals but I am done.
    I am looking forward to some lazy time in front of the tv before cleaning everything up.
    I can understand. You've had a tremendous season. Next year. Enjoy your lazy time, you deserve it!!!!!
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

We have been very busy over here. Sap was still running Tuesday. Low pressure and rain Monday night brought 155 gal. boiled last night. The sap dropped to 1% and a little cloudy. We went from almost medium syrup Monday to as dark as black coffee last night. I had today off and help over. We drained the entire evaporator and cleaned with brush and water. We filtered and canned almost 4 gal of the dark stuff today. I'm going to make 5 gal of maple wine with some of it. We cleaned every tank, even those in the woods. We are one pint shy of 45 gal. of syrup. We should be froze up until Friday. The weather looks incredible for the next week. I better take some more time off.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Wow,
    had a few minutes to get on here and check to see what the PA folks are doing. Dennis,Gary Jim Brown, Paddy mt, and all have been making syrup when the sap is there. Good job everyone! I would say this has been a tough season for most of us. The weather just has not been great. Lots of cold spells for days at a time in our area. I don't have the numbers with me But I think we gathered around 4000+ gallons of sap @ 2%sugar content and have made 93 gallons of syrup all grades.
    We went from light syrup on Saturday morning to dark amber on Monday afternoon. From gathering 700 gallons in a flannel shirt on Sunday to running a propane heater in the sugar house with temps in the 20's today.
    We have had two folks in the family say they heard the spring peepers on Sunday evening That's usually just about the end?
    Some folks in the area just tapped late last week. So now I am confused! Is the season over or just beginning?
    We are getting ready for Taste and Tour this weekend. Had the Dept of Ag stop by and inspect us Tuesday.
    There may be a sap run Friday or Saturday too.
    Our taps are 5 weeks old and the containers are starting to get coated due to the warm weather. We might be able to go for another week??
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 03-13-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Daileytapper,
    I'm not pushing her real hard and getting 25-35 gph. I really like it. One small leak in the left bottom corner of the front pan. I will take it back for repair this summer. I wll be buying from them again.
    Woody
    Worth Township, Centre County, PA
    2012- New A & A metal 2X6 raised flue Evaporator
    12 X 16 Never TapOut Sugar Shack
    Circle Sawmill
    Firewood processor
    Polaris 500 ATP
    Polaris Ranger 570
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...iningsugarcamp
    "The worst Maple Syrup I ever tasted, Was Wonderful"

Chris, I'm not sure about the season either. I have a big red in my yard that looks like it's going to pop leaves any day. The neighbors have big sugars in Grove City and they say the buds are swelled. I don't know if my vacuum trees are going to recover from having two days in the 60's. Our syrup grade may never come back up. I'll probably hang in there for a week and see.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

My brother inlaw collected for me yeaterday because the one big tree behind his house had six gal off two taps. He tried collecting but called it off after finding very little in the buckets and tank. He only brought in 30 gallons. I refiletered and rebottled all my cloudy stuff last night (about 4-1/2 gallons) for something to do sugar-wise. Hopefully tomorrow's temps will get it rolling again before it's too late. My taps are five weeks too.
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Same here in central Pa. My buckets have been up since Feb 9/10. We dumped the rain out of them Monday nite,and wiped them out good. We haven't had a sap run since Sunday.
    The reds here at the house aren't budded yet, but..... I would like to get a few more runs before it gives out. Still have about 6 gallons of syrup to filter and bottle.
    4 rows of wood in the SS yet .supposed to be sunny and 40 tomorrow, if they don't run then ,well we'll see.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Figured i would jump back in and give an update. We have 144 gallons of syrup so far from 500 taps. doing really well and i am more than pleased. Looks like the season will last a few more weeks too because of the cold weather. My tapholes are still giving good sap and I have been tapped since january 28th!!!! i believe that replacing the spile every year is a necessity because it allows you to tap earlier and have a longer season. Do you guys agree?
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast