+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tapping 2013 sisters ville

Cool tapping 2013 sisters ville

Last year I watched ideal weather for syrup in jan here in the valley but waited until feb 3 and got skunked ,

The trees are running like a race horse , anytime a # 6 nail is put in for new tubing the trees are streaming sap down the side .

If this keeps up we will go in jan 1 . It is much warmer here in the ohio valley that in the mountians .

All the best gentleman and Merry Christmas !
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    3x12 dalliare & hoods & preheater
    300 ro & vacuum
    Ls 4 wheel Drive 58 horse
    kabota 4 wheel drive 20 horse
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

why you using nails

[QUOTE=Edward Howell;196682]Last year I watched ideal weather for syrup in jan here in the valley but waited until feb 3 and got skunked ,

The trees are running like a race horse , anytime a # 6 nail is put in for new tubing the trees are streaming sap down the side .

If this keeps up we will go in jan 1 . It is much warmer here in the ohio valley that in the mountians .

If I was living where you are I would be all tapped in by mid Dec. The smart spouts or the CV2s will allow for 3 months or more of sap run before shutting down. This would take you into mid March when probably your season ends anyway. Tap away.

Spud

Maybe off subject in a side direction? I use buckets, can I use "smart spouts or the CV2's". I have 7/16 taps and aluminum and galv. buckets with covers.

Thanks,
    Phil

[QUOTE=spud;196689]
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Howell View Post
    Last year I watched ideal weather for syrup in jan here in the valley but waited until feb 3 and got skunked ,

If I was living where you are I would be all tapped in by mid Dec. The smart spouts or the CV2s will allow for 3 months or more of sap run before shutting down. This would take you into mid March when probably your season ends anyway. Tap away.

Spud

Spud , 3 months of syrup Makin ? Have i already died and in Glory with the Lord Jesus ?
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Still need a galvanized nail here and there , not very many , In a perfect world ......
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

In those 3 months you will have some warm days here and there. In order to get all the sap you can you need to be tapped. If you read in the PMRC site (click on to when to tap) you will see they talk about early tapping. The big producers start tapping early January where I live. Some get a few early runs if the weather is right during Jan-Feb even though the real sugaring is more in March. A tap hole does not heal up as fast when it is cold and that is why early tapping is not a problem. I plan to tap in January in hopes of getting some early runs on maybe a handful of warmer days. Last Feb I got something like 15,000 gallons of sap before my neighbors even tapped their trees. They laughed at me when I was tapping and I laughed at them when the sap truck passed their house 5 times with full loads. That was about $7000.00 in sap. There were people on Trader last season that wished they had tapped early and feel they lost out on some runs. I don't want to miss out on any sap runs at all. So no you have not died and went to Heaven yet. I look forward to seeing you there someday.

Spud

Spud ,

Always rolling the dice , tap to early get froze out for maybe 45 days , but if stays warm the tapps stop really fast . I was use to march 1 at best in northern ohio . hard to adjust to jan here but the conditions are excellent . by feb 10 last year i had 60 deg days and the sap was clouded before it came into the tanks . Wayyy to hot
    May all your trees run 6 %

ED
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

We tapped the second week of Feb last year and missed a couple of runs. Our last boil was 19 April and when we pulled out our CVs on the 20th/21th, our holes were still wet and running. We are adjusting our strategy and tapping the second week of January next month. The CVs definitely kept our tap holes running. The sugarmakers near us who didn't use the CVs were done at the end of March.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Ok the tapps are in and looks lilke 45 deg tomorrow and all the way to 55 deg by sunday ; looks friday to sunday one long run , no freeze ....

Should be up to my waist in sap
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast