+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crown Maple

Point well taken. Although selling syrup in smaller containers (even at a lower price then others) could pay much better then selling bulk.

Spud

I only do (did) this during the season. Bottled it directly from canner while I was standing there. No checks accepted. Much better than bulk price.
    Thad

And by doing this it's helping you and your family out by making a little extra money (no harm done) Nobody's under cutting prices out of spite it's just a way of making a little extra money for someone that sells most of their syrup bulk. I wish others would see it that way and not get so upset. This is why I smile when I read about Crown Maple selling 12 ounce bottles for $19.95 each. He is able to do something that is not easy to do and that is sell everything in very small bottles. Thats why my hat goes off to this man.

Spud

One of two things will happen. The price of syrup will rise for everyone (not likely) Or, the city folks will figure out pretty quick they can look around and find it much cheaper. What's to stop anyone from finding an outlet in the big apple and undercutting this guy?
    2 x 6 Grimm raised flue for 2012 season. Rebuilding a 3 x 13 for 2013. 51 Ford 8N, St. Bernard, 30+ chickens.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/cardigan99/

With a quick google search, I found the owner of Crown Maple is a West Point graduate with an MBA from Harvard Business School. I think it is great he's creating new markets for maple. NYC is a huge "untapped" market for maple syrup. It looks like he has great contacts and relationships to develop his business. Good for him. Good for maple.
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

Good discussion!!! good opinions. and we are all staying nice must be the holiday season......
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

When I started this thread I never said he DID NOT have a right to do this. Absolutely he does. Now, when I read the article I just had to laugh. Most of us have grown up with maple... worked in it and built up our operations little by little. My whole feeling on the Crown Maple is the guy couldn't tell you what end of the hydrometer is up before this. Maple is not a big corporate industry, never has been. Do we want it to go the way of the cattle industry?

We all know what happens when Wall Street and the Federal govement get togther on something...

Capitalism is great. Greed is bad.
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

A good share of us do this to make a living and I surely wish i had made the decisions that would create the wealth that he has to be able to afford this type of operation. I personally know some involved and and they were not born with a silver spoon in their mouth, I congratulate this operation in not only promoting syrup like it should be but also creating jobs as well.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

I agree greed is bad, and you make some good points as did everyone.... I said the same thing about maple and big business in alot of words, but now that I think about it maple already is a big business. look at the size of the operations in Canada, Whats Lappierre at like 175K taps I am sure there facility is WAY bigger than crown. and its getting shipped to JAPAN in thousands of pound quantities. when you see the cheap stuff in the supermarket store shelf and I am talking real maple its big packers with syrup from canada mixed in there. I don't wanna see maple go by the way of factory farming either but as much as we are making there is still a demand for it and yes I am the little guy who just sells a 75 gallons a year. As a section of north america, canada included, there is more maple syrup being made than ever before and with great and improoving efficiency. You could say that maple factory farming is already here by the way we are now producing maple from just being boiled in a pot by wood to RO's steamaways, high effieciency arches, and vacuum pumps etc. etc. etc. its here and we are improving it everyday. in this day of maple syrup you can use a 2x6 and still get away with over 1000 taps as long as you have all the stuff I just mentioned above.

As much as I don't like big business either and I am for the local farmer. I guess I am changing my toon after reading some of the other posts and yes this guy is a businessman and maybe couldn't tap a tree to save his life but yes he's creating jobs and maybe he is opening the door to get maple more in the mainstream. Will it effect me NO probably not. Its the same thing when you go into a touristy shop somewhere how much is a quart of syrup anywhere from $20 to as much as $40+ for a quart. which is a s much as $160 a gallon. So to say that maple isn't a big business already well............

Quote Originally Posted by bison1973 View Post
    When I started this thread I never said he DID NOT have a right to do this. Absolutely he does. Now, when I read the article I just had to laugh. Most of us have grown up with maple... worked in it and built up our operations little by little. My whole feeling on the Crown Maple is the guy couldn't tell you what end of the hydrometer is up before this. Maple is not a big corporate industry, never has been. Do we want it to go the way of the cattle industry?

We all know what happens when Wall Street and the Federal govement get togther on something...

Capitalism is great. Greed is bad.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

[QUOTE=bison1973;196269]When I started this thread I never said he DID NOT have a right to do this. Absolutely he does. Now, when I read the article I just had to laugh. Most of us have grown up with maple... worked in it and built up our operations little by little. My whole feeling on the Crown Maple is the guy couldn't tell you what end of the hydrometer is up before this. Maple is not a big corporate industry, never has been. Do we want it to go the way of the cattle industry?

Tim

As a person grows from being young to old they also take on new interest. There once was a time when I enjoyed playing baseball and drinking beer. Now as I'm older I prefer sitting on the porch drinking coffee. My point is people change and their interest can also change. If the owner of Crown Maple never tapped a tree until a few years ago then (so what). It would appear that the man took on a new interest (sugaring) and he is not only enjoying it but doing very well at marketing his product. He does not have to be born into a sugaring family to be respected by other sugar makers. We should welcome all people young and old who want to join in and make some syrup. The amount of money he has should make no difference in how we treat him. In suggesting he does not know what end of the hydrometer is up suggest your angry with this mans success. If someone offered you $19.95 per 12 ounce bottle on all the syrup you make you would take it in a flash. If I lived in a big city and saw a nice bottle of syrup for sale for $19.95 I might buy a few for myself and be glad I did. I would love to see Mr. Crown Maple join this site so I could pick his brain.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast