+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding Sugar during the boiling process

Default Adding Sugar during the boiling process

I was adding back some syrup and crystals that was a little on the heavy side (first batch) back to some almost syrup, and I wondered... what would stop an unscrupulous producer from adding table sugar to their sap to increase their yield? Especially since most people seem to like the lighter, sweeter and more bland tasting stuff.

I would never do this, but just was wondering if anyone has heard of it.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by carpedium View Post
    ... what would stop an unscrupulous producer from adding table sugar to their sap to increase their yield?
    Testing can detect adulteration of maple syrup with other sugars.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I think this is what happens when our local FFA makes "maple syrup" This year, they said that they had 800 gallons of sap, from which they were going to make 80 gallons of syrup. The math doesn't work out unless they add sucrose from some other source (probably Michigan beet sugar to maintain the made in Michigan status). Of course, they can get away with it if they don't advertise it as pure maple syrup and they properly list the ingredients. They do it as a fundraiser, so it probably doesn't matter that much.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by carpedium View Post

I would never do this, but just was wondering if anyone has heard of it.
    I wouldn't do it either, but now I'm wondering what the syrup would be like if you did add sugar. Has anyone ever tried it?

Bad idea, keep maple syrup legal and pure. Besides it's illegal.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Note illegal if labeled as such. Maple Grove blended syrup for Cracker Barrel, as well as some of their "maple" candies listed cane sugar as a ingredient.

Seriously tho..what if you had some sap testing around 1..not a lot..20-30 gallons. Would upping the sugar content with a few boxes of brown sugar still be a bad idea? Seems like you would save boil time and fuel. I know it's probably sacrilege to even talk about around here, but I'm just wondering what you would end up with. This would be for your own use, not to sell. I'm not saying I would ever do it...just something to talk about.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by saphound View Post
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Some have definitely tried it. After paying their fines and (for some) spending some time in jail, they probably didn't think it was such a good idea.

We know quite well how to detect this, and we do test syrups as part of the ISMI Adulteration monitoring program. Testing in the U.S. is facilitated by the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center. Testing in Canada is through Centre Acer.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Well they should be fined and/or jailed if selling it as pure maple syrup. I was talking about doing it for your own personal use to doctor up some low sugar sap. (see post 7)

If for your own use then when you head to the store to get sugar just walk a few aisles over and grab some pancake syrup fake crap and save some work since thats what your gona make!
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast