+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crown Maple

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    I read an article on crown in edible hudson. he claims that boiling removes minerals and that is why they super RO their sap. anybody know of real scientific evidence to back up this claim? the article also said that another producer close by has 3,000 taps on one acre and made 3,ooo-5,000 gals of syrup a year!
    I thought 120-150 taps on an acre was pretty good. We had a little over 3,000 taps last spring and produced just over 1,300 gallons. They obviously misquoted the producer on the acreage and production.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Reading this forum actually make me happy. I love the passion sugar makers have I to share that. I happen to think we would all benefit by more exposure to markets that may not be getting exposure. If this works for him think the potential sales it could generate by people seeking syrup from traditional sugermakers. Perhaps. I have on my amber glasses but this is good for most all producers

my wife read the article and was dismayed, as am I, by the lack of research done by the publication to see if what crown had said was true. not only did they give bad math and sketchy science but made a point to belittle the maple syrup industry a a whole to make their operation seem like the best in the world. with bloggers and tweeters etc. it only takes one inaccurate comment to hurt us all. the publication is edible hudson valley. check it out and read the article and you may see that not all press is good press.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    my wife read the article and was dismayed, as am I, by the lack of research done by the publication to see if what crown had said was true. not only did they give bad math and sketchy science but made a point to belittle the maple syrup industry a a whole to make their operation seem like the best in the world. with bloggers and tweeters etc. it only takes one inaccurate comment to hurt us all. the publication is edible hudson valley. check it out and read the article and you may see that not all press is good press.
    I have to agree with this post. Misinformation helps nobody except Crown Maple.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

thank you mountainvan & wiam,

finally someone who gets the point of why I was somewhat dismayed to see a wall street guy with no maple knowledge trying to "corner the market". My point was not that he can't do it (he can) but just what it CAN lead to.
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

Quote Originally Posted by bison1973 View Post
    thank you mountainvan & wiam,

finally someone who gets the point of why I was somewhat dismayed to see a wall street guy with no maple knowledge trying to "corner the market". My point was not that he can't do it (he can) but just what it CAN lead to.
    I have no problem with him making syrup and trying to "corner the market". I have a problem when he tries to make your syrup and more importantly MY SYRUP seem less than his when that is not true.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

agreed wiam
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

Take a look at a premium producer site that promote the quality of their products, without hurting anyone:
    http://www.finemapleproducts.com/en/...re-maple-syrup
    200 Buckets 2015
    14 x 16 Cabane ā sucre
    2 x 5 Cantin evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by CBOYER View Post
    Take a look at a premium producer site that promote the quality of their products, without hurting anyone:
    http://www.finemapleproducts.com/en/...re-maple-syrup
    It can be done.

In my opinion what Crown is saying is not against any law, but it is slimy.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

Kids bought me some for X-mas. Keep it out of the shack, its easy to drink!
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast