+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Journal

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default November Journal

I see you folks are asleep today....so guess I'll have to start the November Journal myself.

Busy planning and prepping for spring 2013 experiments, buying supplies, getting the woods set up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We are topping off the wood pile, splitting some ash cut two years ago. We certainly had plenty of firewood left from last year so this will be an easy task.

Also looking to replace our wood countertop with a stainless prep table in the sugar house. I found a smaller one cheap on eBay for my greenhouse potting bench and will look for one with a backsplash for the sugarhouse.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Now that I have a tractor with a bucket I am looking at forks to put on it. I am thinking of bringing pallets from work, cobble some sides on them to hold wood and fill them split dry wood. Overflow from woodshed. This wood make it easy in the spring to move the full pallet to the deck for the arch.
    Thinking of running another 400 foot 5/16 gravity line and connecting another 30 or 40 trees.
    Also kicking around getting setup and doing it with 3/16 but not ready to have another plethra of fittings around yet. May change my mind though.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Had a big old maple loose one of is branches, the branch measures more than 2 feet so you can imagine how old this thing is. the trunk of the tree at breat height has to be close to 31/2 - 4 feet in diameter. there really wasn't much holding it on. Where the wood is green man its hard!!! its a road side too so it has years of grown over cut offs lots of wood but hard to get through!!! Wishing I had the money for a bigger saw now not next year but still have to wait!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I saw a tree snapped off and took down the triplex that brings power to our pump house. Have to fix that Saturday and check out the rest of the woods for damage from the wind on Monday.

Father is finishing up our firewood for the summer, he's 72 and just about finished 40 cords (cutting/splitting/stacking) by himself.

Put up some new 1" lines last weekend and a bear came by and decided to chew up a good ten foot section this week. Squirrels stole about 50 drop lines this summer. Need to replace them.

What in the heck are they doing with these drop lines? Been avoiding introducing them to Mr. Remington but might need to re-evaluate.

If we have time, hope to run a few more lines to grab another 250 taps but the slope is fairly steep.

After the above, order new drill bits and get ready to tap in January.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Getting ready for snow. We are getting perfect sap weather, 20-25 at night, mid 40's during the day...rats, its november and not march!
    Took releasers out to the pump houses, with new valves, all cleaned up.
    Still cutting some trees out of a 2 acre area I hope to get tubing into this winter. Will need a pretty good sap lift, 15 ft or so.
    I plan on trying with with traditional 5/16 sap ladders, total of 12 lift lines. about 100 taps.

One more scrub of the flue pan, then set the steam pan on it and get it plumbed up for the spring. I know it will be here soon.

Also, getting some grouse and bowhunting in, gun season 2 weeks away, 1 kid in college, 1 going in Jan, and 2 more in high and middle school. Oh yeah, my job....
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I went in the sugar house last night. Looked at everything and got goose bumps! I haven't sugared since the 2011 season. But going to give it a try this year. May not have as many taps but what the hell.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Where do you get your 3/16 supplies - i found tubing at mcmaster carr but what about the fittings and spouts?

Good morning everyone from isla mujeres mexico! My new wife and i got here last night for our honeymoon, no maple this week for me! Im pretty bummed that i forgot to bring a pint along for breakfast.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast