+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: November Journal

My solar project update. Entrance finished, power co. came and connected line at the transformer. Utility is awaiting net meter (an electric meter made to run forward & backward, it seems the local service department does not stock these.) ( My solar contractor said the net meters generally take about 10 day-2 weeks to arrive, inspection and meter request was last Fri, 11/16. When they get it in a service tech will come hook it up. A regular one could not be connected because they are not designed to accept power flowing toward their transformer. My original 1480 watt system with battery backup is ready to send them power as soon as the meter is connected. The new solar is awaiting a replacement inverter, due in next Monday(?). It seems the one that came had internal damage in transit. Something about a relay breaking loose and causing damage to the motherboard and circuitry. Everything else is wired and ready. New panels are 22 @ 220 watts each, just grid tied. 4840 watts new + 1480 watts existing = 6320 total nominal. Next year I hope to do a couple of solar open houses and maybe invite some school field trips (& have each feature a syrup sales booth).
    When this is all finished, I will look at converting my gas powered RO to electric and I'll more pleasantly run later at night. In the past my solar ran everything all day and about 2-3 hrs into the evening. After that I had to fire up my diesel generator and listen to that noise til shutdown.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have not done a thing maple over the summer or fall. plan on getting to it once hunting season is over in a few weeks!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Just about have all of my wood split and stacked. Got a 500 gallon stainless tank from A&A Metal Shop coming through Ray Gingerich at Deer Run Maple. I will have to build a wood frame around it. It will be my main holding tank at the sugar house. I purchased a 205 gallon Groen stainless bulk tank at Ray's auction which will become my head tank. Also have a 275 gal cage tank for reserve storage, and 325 gallon and 169 gallon tanks in the woods for gravity collection. Also have a stainless 125 gal gathering tank on order from A&A to help with the 200 or so buckets that we will still hang. Trying to streamline the sap colllection process so I can spend more time boiling.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

adk you better get moving!
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Took this week off and got a bunch done.

Stack is all set now.
    Cupola doors (louvered) have been fabricated, installed and are fully operational.
    Winch installed on the Gator, got it pre-wired for the sap collecting apparatus, too.
    Another cord of wood cut, split, stacked.

Been hunting the morning and evenings. A smallish 6 point and a nice 8 point are roaming the property, can’t get either of them in close enough for a shot (hunting with a handgun this year).

Going to leave the tubing alone until after deer season.

Whilst dinking around with the stack, I noticed that mice had taken up residence in the arch under the flue pan. Hadn’t planned on pulling the pans, but it looks like I’ll need to now.

A few things scratched off the list, one added on. At least it is getting a little shorter.
    Last edited by Tweegs; 11-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    My solar project update. Entrance finished, power co. came and connected line at the transformer. Utility is awaiting net meter (an electric meter made to run forward & backward, it seems the local service department does not stock these.) ( My solar contractor said the net meters generally take about 10 day-2 weeks to arrive, inspection and meter request was last Fri, 11/16. When they get it in a service tech will come hook it up. A regular one could not be connected because they are not designed to accept power flowing toward their transformer. My original 1480 watt system with battery backup is ready to send them power as soon as the meter is connected. The new solar is awaiting a replacement inverter, due in next Monday(?). It seems the one that came had internal damage in transit. Something about a relay breaking loose and causing damage to the motherboard and circuitry. Everything else is wired and ready. New panels are 22 @ 220 watts each, just grid tied. 4840 watts new + 1480 watts existing = 6320 total nominal. Next year I hope to do a couple of solar open houses and maybe invite some school field trips (& have each feature a syrup sales booth).
    When this is all finished, I will look at converting my gas powered RO to electric and I'll more pleasantly run later at night. In the past my solar ran everything all day and about 2-3 hrs into the evening. After that I had to fire up my diesel generator and listen to that noise til shutdown.
    If you dont mind me asking what did your solar cost per watt or how long does solar take to pay for itself ? I looked into wind turbines here in Wisconsin and it would take 25-30 years to pay for itself with the current prices per KW hour. I am always looking to save some money, even if it takes a while to happen.

Have been wiring the sugarhouse, just waiting on hooking up the generator lead. Now when we loose power all I have to do is flip my main breaker and fire up the generator. Sweet. Will be nice to not have to listen to the generator and have lots of light. Got a ten yr lease on a small bush, 150 taps max. Going to talk to the neighbor to see if I can tap his as well. Most of the wood is done but want to have plenty just in case. Still need to do some plumbing for the sink.
    Will be tapping before we know it.

Upon returning to the sugarhouse this afternoon, I found that the meter needed had been installed. I am now on the grid, with 1.48 KW solar, soon to be 6.32 KW solar when a replacement inverter arrives. Electrical inspection last Friday, utility connected the lines from the transformer to the meter socket Tuesday and the missing net meter was installed today. That chain of events took a lot less time than I expected. I guess that was to make up for the 2 month wait for the utility to approve the plan and quote a price. Then another 2 months to run the wires in from the road to a pole. Then in about 3 weeks time I had the rest done and awaited the required certified installer to install my expanded solar system (I was not allowed to install my own even though I had run the first 1.48KW that is now grid tied.
    On another note, I got a call from a friend who was hunting at my blueberry fields. I had asked if he would try to shoot one of the does, and he did,in his first 30 minutes he hunted it. I'll try my hand tomorrow morning there too. I have far too many deer, especially does in there.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345