+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2 x 6 oil tank evaporator build.

Default New 2 x 6 oil tank evaporator build.

IMG_0433.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0436.jpgIMG_0439.jpg

Just started my evaporator today. Thanks to a buddy who's dad owns a welding shop. The tank is 27" wide so we used 2" angle for the sides. That only gives 1/2" of bearing for the pans, I hope that's enough. Picked up a cast iron radiator for $20 for the grates. the spacing is 1/2". I made the firebox 24" deep. If it ends up being too deep I can always shorten it. I made the flue under the back pan 3 1/4", I figure on 1" blanket will put me around 2" which will equal my 8" stack. I am making two 2'x3' flat pans, the back pan will have one divider and the front pan will have three. Tried to upload a sketch of the pans but couldn't. Ill have to work on that. Still have a ways to go, but happy with the progress! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Looks good ,is the back part to make it 6' part of the upper half left over from cutting the tank

Yes. It is 6' 1" to the stack base. That will give some space behind the pan so the sap won't scorch from the heat of the stack. The only additional material needed was the angle and ill have to find some tin for the ramp.

great why to use the rest of the tank and have a 6' evaporator a little better than 5', any ways keep the pics comeing iam getting ready to build mine soon and i'll have to give my welder some plans

Looks great. The 5' length was one of the drawbacks of an oil tank evaporator - your extension is perfect.

I'm interested in the use of cast radiator sections as fire grates. I'm guessing that this is not the first time this has been done. How well do they hold up? New grates are on my list for spring, I was going to use heavy angle.

aparr, your build is looking good. If I may add a note from my experience, add air over fire. It makes a world of difference and is well worth the extra effort.
    2011 19 taps, 5 gallons of syrup
    Moved from turkey fryers to barrel stove.
    A copy of the North American Maple Manual.
    "2012 in the book" 85 taps, new 24"X60" rig 5" drop flue, made 15 gallons
    2013 75 buckets and bags, 50 taps on tubing= 32.6875 gallons in glass.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...%20rig%202011/

We're very pleased with ours. No distortion or other effects from high heat. You have to be diligent about keeping ash from clogging the openings and cutting down air flow from underneath. Cost was $0.00 and we have a lifetime supply of spare grates, all from one old radiator.

pan1.jpgpan2.jpg

Got to work on the pans yesterday. Two 2' x 3' pans. The back pan will have one divider, the front will have 3. Welded on tri-clover connections to connect the two pans, I found them at a pretty awesome salvage yard near me. (They have anything you could ever need)
    Also welded on a 1/2" coupler for a thermometer port, and a 3/4" Nipple for the draw off. My only other thing I want to add is a float box. Getting down to the wire on this, but I think I will make it. Thanks to all on here who blazed the homemade trail before me and were willing to share their knowledge!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Getting close!!!!! Just need to insulate yet and find some 8 inch stack. also working on a float box. Bought a steam pan for the box, and a stainless flask for the float! (we'll see.) Oh ya still need to solder in the dividers. Buddy couldn't TIG the inside corner.

Question? I have read on here about boiling with baking soda to neutralize the pans, but should I run vinegar too? maybe milkstone remover first to clean ,then baking soda, then a good cleaning with just water?
    [IMG][/IMG]pan overal.jpgarch and pan.jpgarch door.jpgUntitled.jpg
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread