+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expanded cinder block evaporator

I checked it out and I can easily add three inches to the length of the evaporator to add a fifth pan for sap warming. The only issue is that the pan would partially block the stove pipe entrance. Right now, there is 10.5 inches after the fourth pan for the heat to climb up and go out the full diameter of the stove pipe. If I add the fifth pan, only about 2” of the stove pipe would be fully exposed and only about an inch from the edge of the pan for the heat to go out the full diameter of the pipe.

If I do this, would it totally screw up my draft?
    C65A9CE1-F7A1-4413-B545-568BE24B4090.jpg
    31292247-6BD1-4FFB-8C8B-EE87AE51CE22.jpg

Can you shift the exhaust port back?

If not, you could raise that last pan a few inches or use a shallower depth pan (keeping the bottom up higher than the others). Could probably achieve that with a firebrick on each side to hold it up.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; custom nat gas evap with temp and level controllers; homemade RO; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    Can you shift the exhaust port back?

If not, you could raise that last pan a few inches or use a shallower depth pan (keeping the bottom up higher than the others). Could probably achieve that with a firebrick on each side to hold it up.
    Thanks, I had though about the shallower pan, but when I looked at my setup, I though the bottom would just sit in the same place, I did not think about raising the ledge it sits on. I currently have six inch deep pans. I will go with a 4” deep one, and raise the ledge two inches.

I set it up on a concrete pad I poured and I am just about at the limits of the pad, so the raised pan is the way I will go.

Thanks again, I will work on it tomorrow. I ordered the pan tonight.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 10-07-2021 at 10:48 PM.

I added the three extra inches in length to the evaporator today. That will allow me to add a fifth pan. Raising up the level 2” for the fifth shallower pan, really opened up the opening for the stove pipe. The new pan is on order and when it arrives, hopefully everything fits perfectly level wise.

Thank goodness for a diamond stone cutting blade on the circular saw. I had a lot of cutting of new patio stones to do, to add the 3 inches.

If the fourth pan boils nicely for me and the fifth pan really warms up the sap, this move might make for a 25% improvement in efficiency. I will also be preheating two pots of sap on a dual induction stove near the evaporator. That should also help.

E00DF58B-47F5-4467-9FAC-D8A87DB4DA89.jpg
    5B427441-E256-474B-9FC6-C6AA729DCCAA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I added the three extra inches in length to the evaporator today. That will allow me to add a fifth pan. Raising up the level 2” for the fifth shallower pan, really opened up the opening for the stove pipe.

Attachment 22528
    Attachment 22529
    Looks great
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; custom nat gas evap with temp and level controllers; homemade RO; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12