+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drought-SD update

Default Drought-SD update

Anybody else getting affected by the drought? We are over 7" below normal and have reached the "highest" level of drought. I never knew there were so many stages. Trees are turning puke green/brown and leaves are dropping. Corn harvest is going strong and fast, low yields. Alot of corn will be out before pheasant opener.

Waiting for rain,
    SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

9-19-12

Got two shots of rain...I think you can call it rain, less than a quarter inch combined. Speaking of combines, corn vastly out by Sioux Falls area and I've heard the same as you travel west. Beans are starting to go as well.

Lot's of grassfires the past couple of days, so a warning to all pheasant hunters to be careful. Pheasant numbers are up from last year, since last year was pretty good it should be dynamite this year with the advanced corn harvest.

Waiting for some more measurable rain,
    SDdave

We had it bad 13 behind. Starting getting rain at the end of August, 3.5 months with out. We didn't get enough to germinate my sweet corn seed.

East central MN really dry but at about normal yet according to history. But we need moisture now.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Well it's been about 2 weeks and still no rain, and still no rain in the forecast. Crops are vastly out. Still reports of grassfires. Not much happening in SD just dry and windy.

Waiting for rain,
    SDdave

From the local news...

"SIOUX FALLS, SD - South Dakota's row crop harvest advanced again last week with the soybean harvest nearing completion.
    The U.S. Agriculture Department says in its weekly crop and weather report that light showers teased parts of the state over the weekend but make no significant dent in the growing season precipitation deficits.
    Precipitation was fairly widespread but totals were fairly limited. Topsoil moisture is rated at 5 percent adequate, 18 percent short and 77 percent very short.
    The corn for grain harvest is 78 percent complete and the soybean harvest is 94 percent complete. Both are ahead of the five-year averages.
    Cattle conditions are rated at 65 percent good to excellent, 30 percent fair and 5 percent poor.
    "

The local weather guys are guessing the winter might be like in 1976...bitterly cold with no precip. Better stock up on the whisky!

SDdave

It's been a few days so I guess I better update. We actually got a shot of rain about 10 days ago or so. Picked up 0.60". The last time we got close to a 0.5" rain was back in April, and then only that one time.

SDdave

I can't imagine what a drought like that would do here. Since the first of Sept. we have gotten a little over 22 inches in our area. There is an experimental forest station the next town over from here and they record all the weather there and that's the amount of rain fall for this area that they have recorded. We have been getting between 1 1/2 to 3 inches to a storm but it has been that way for the last 4 years during the fall.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I should post more often, after the last post we picked up about a quarter inch, on the optimist side, of rain. Got a chance of precip this coming weekend. Right now I'll let rain ruin my weekend. Now I am asking myself since there was hardly any rain during the growing season (less than 2") and we get fall rains/snow is it enough to tap, or err on the side of caution and take a year off?

Take care,
    SDdave

I am going to keep on posting, cuz' it's good luck. Picked up about a 0.50" rain Saturday night. Man was it beautiful, but the ground really soaked it up as there was no sign Sunday morning. I like it!!

SDdave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast