+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evaporator for 50-150 Taps

I have a 2x5' Lapierre raised flue. Out of the box it ran right around 25 gph.
    I now have a hood and preheater and it runs about 28gph easily.

I personally would not base the size of evap on the number of taps but on how many gals of sap you expect to get per day.
    Then use the gph for the evap to figure how many hours that you can spare to run the evap.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    I personally would not base the size of evap on the number of taps but on how many gals of sap you expect to get per day.
    Then use the gph for the evap to figure how many hours that you can spare to run the evap.
    Bingo. We have the right answer.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    I have a 2x5' Lapierre raised flue. Out of the box it ran right around 25 gph.
    I now have a hood and preheater and it runs about 28gph easily.

I see your point but being somewhat of a newbie, and Op looks to be too, it looks like he's looking to have a starting point. I may be shooting for 300 taps but most of my trees are under 16 in diameter because the woods got logged. he may be dealing with a forest full of 30 inch trees so fewer trees and more sap. Snce he's new I'm going out on a limb and guessing he doesn't have years of records with his trees to know how much sap he's dealing with. In the few short seasons I've been involved two were crappy and one was great as far as sap runs.

Isn't it kind of a general rule to expect 1/2 to 1 gallon per day per tap, or did I just come up with that in a maple induced halucination after a long boil. It looks like he's like the rest of us and trying to make a best guess before spending big bucks on a rig that may be too small.

Another point may be about your hood and preheater. He might get by on a smaller rig with the extras.
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

If it were me I would go with a 2x6, base model usually give you around 25-30 GPH. If you expand you can add extras like a hood and preheater, also a blower if your burning wood, or oil if you want. Those will put you in the high 30's to low 40's for GPH. Dennis is right though, size the evaporator for the amount of sap you get in a day and the time you want to invest in boiling.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Again, agree with Dennis. Time is the issue.
    With 150 average trees, you can have days of up to 200+ gallons of sap, all the way down to 0.
    You need to plan for the big runs, unless you want to sell sap on those days.
    You need to decide how often you can boil, and for how long.
    If you can only boil 3 days a week, for 10 hrs a day, you would have to plan like this:
    150 trees making 200 gallons per day, you could have 3 days of sap (600 gallons) to do in 10 hrs. You need to do 60 gph.
    If you have a 2x6 that can do 35 gph, you finish the day with 250 gallons left. the next time you process in 2 days, you could be back up to 650 gallons. Now you cook all weekend, doing 2 10hr days, and you cook down 350 but 100 more comes in, and day 2 the same and you still have hundreds of gallons of sap sitting there.

Been there, done that. Sold the sap.
    Think it through, decide what you want to do.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Also plan on how your operation "MAY" grow in the coming years. Yes it will happen.

Bigger is better but and this is a big but. If you go to large at the beginning you will have to hold sap a few days to have enough to do a good boil. You really don't want to have only an hour of boil. The evap would just get to the point of running real go thn you would have to shut down.

I think a 2x6 would be a good starting point, and it would go nice with an RO if you grow bigger.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

i have a 2x8 made by a&a runs at 45 to 50 gal hr i have 200 taps out last year it was 150$ more than a 2x6
    Bixby's Maple Syrup

The next part to realize is that a 2x6 is often paired with a RO, small- up to about 250 or 300 gph. With this and running sap to 8% you can get 4x the syrup/hr compared to most raw sap. On a super run day you can run a second pass and go to 12 or even 14% sweet for reduced boil times. I believe at least one on this site is doing in the 2000 tap range on their 2x6 by using an RO.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Go look online to the maple guys. They sell a Lapierre evap the mini pro I believe. It's like 2x4 with a little float system and flue pan.
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

So how much do you have invested in your 2x8? Have you been happy with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast