+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airtight front or preheater

Default Airtight front or preheater

I have a 2x6 raised flue grimm evaporator. I want to get as much boil out of it as possible but also plan to upgrade to a larger evaporator in a few years. Would building a airtight door help much on the grimm front? Its also up on blocks so this would have to be sealed also I would assume to get effects of airtight door. I have under fire air now but still get a ton of ash. Last year redid arch with ceramic blanket it boils harder but think I still can get more out of it. If I build a preheater want a seperate unit that steam comes off of hood then enters. Not sure what size pipe I would want to use in this. Thought of using 3/4" copper to enter and exit preheater then go to 1/2" copper inside and split it into 2 seperate lines. Would 2 1/2" lines flow 100 gals per hour on gravity feed? Any ideas on all of this?
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

Default Re: Airtight front or preheater

My first official post here, great community!

I would love to know the answer to this also... Which is better money spent?

Are any plans/blueprints floating around for pre-heaters?

Anthony- I took the preheater off of my old evaporator over to Henry's a few weeks ago. I kept the copper but he may sell you the stainless box. It may be a bit large for the 2X6 but it would work
    Jeremy
    Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
    Somerset County, PA
    22000 taps on vacuum and counting
    4x14 Leader Max pans oil fired with steam-away, 2-1000gph RO's, 2-4000gph RO's

Mountain man the half inch lines will be fine for a two by six they won't need to flow one hunted gallons an hour you will be very lucky to get fifty out of a two by six if you have a newer model and ten ten inch flues and air under fire air over fire and a preheater so 30-35 will be about what you will get with a traditional preheater unlike you are planning so I would check out uvms paper on preheaters

I want to be able to use the preheater over when I get a new evaporator which I figure will be a 3x10 thats why I want it to be capable of 100 gallons
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

Ok that makes sense now but if you get a bigger evap you need a bigger preheater.
    Last edited by 500592; 06-08-2012 at 05:40 AM.

I am thinking about building a preheater now for inside hood. The problem I see with it though is my hood covers front and back pans with one 8 inch outlet pipe. If I put a damper in it steam will just push out from under hood since its all one I figure. Has anyone tried a preheater in a hood like this? Would going with 1/2" pipe be enough to make heat from steam going past? Is it also enough flow to keep up with 2x6 was thinking of 50' of 1/2" copper. Thanks for any input.
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

I was told you want to adjust the damper so that steam just starts coiming out from the around the hood which will give you the most heat to your pre heater correct me if im wrong.
    2013 Brand new Leader 2 by 6 max flue all raised with a hood

2012 7 days collecting 9 days boilin and 24 gallons made short sweet season

2011. Only 120 taps amazing year made a little over 50 gallons

2010 First year with Leader 2 by 6 Pleasure Model 20 gallons made

2009 30 taps barrel evaporator 6 gallons of syrup GREAT YEAR

2006 Started on a 10inch by 20 inch pan on a woodstove outside. It has to start somewhere!

Now Im HOOKED

I think with Hood open between flue and finish pan that I will have a problem with steam going out at all if I pit a damper in.
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

+ Reply to Thread