+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August Journal

Default August Journal

You guys are slacking its a few days into the month.
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

Havent turned the computer on in months......I got a 4 foot wood splitter that I hooked into the hydraulic system of my yard crane...saw the wood 4' and hold it with the bucket in the splitter,,,,still have to finish the splitting with the 4 footer behind the tractor but the peices are smaller (lighter) to be put by hand on the splitter,,,,,got premission to tap another 800 @ rte.11............stay cool!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

And the legend lives!
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

I try not to put the computer on but email is my stream of comunication for alot of people!!!! and I always get sucking to to viewing my fav. sites.

First batch of meat birds done...
    second batch on order...
    chicken house projects done.

Eliminated 2 ground hogs so far this summer. no serious damage to gardens!!!

pulled of 70lbs of honey so far and with this rain as of late hoping there is bunch more in there but at the same time can't really get into the hives with the weather as is.
    need a good dry day to get in there and powder sugar dust for mights too.

getting used to running the chain saw for a few hours a day I cut trees down back in april/may now time to get them cut up back is a little stiff and forearms sore but getting better.
    start hauling out and getting things split and stacked.

Maple sales steadily slow right now but picking up a little more so thats good.

Need to get a plan together and possibly take a trip out west(bascom's and maple guys) for tubing and supplies. Gotta see how much money I can budget for upcoming projects that I haven't even started on!!!

but its only august so as long as I get the wood done and stcked etc. the other stuff I can do when its cold out thats fine its better that way anyway the bugs are gone!!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Finally got some much needed rain for the crops. Started on the the woodshed, it'll be 16X24 attached to the Sugarhouse. I'll load some pictures soon. Produce stand and syrup sales are doing well. I've had many vacationers buy lots of syrup, one was taking a bunch back to Martha's Vineyard, were I hear it's pretty pricy. Wood is all cut for next sugaring season, I'm still working on the woodpile to heat the house. Is that backwards or what?
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

Well, I've been working on wood and all that while getting permission to tap on another property with 100+ taps and waiting to hear from another 2 owners. probably be close to 300 taps this season. I am patiently awaiting the delivery of our materials for the new sap house. Just sold the hood from the half pint today to a fellow member of this site. Thats about it for me.
    almost forgot, I ordered a Lapierre 16x16 canner/filterer and a scoop as well.
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

Fellow Traders,
    Haven't posted much this summer, I've had to work too many days in a row on my real job. Normal schedule is two days on two days off, three day weekend every other weekend. Been working 12 days in a row before getting two days off, doing this since mid April. Hopefully going back to normal schedule next week.
    Maple Candy and Maple Coated Nuts along with syrup has been selling real good. Just called the stores and found out that I need to make candy plus jug some syrup.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Went out today and began marking trees for tapping next year. I made a little system to help me count taps without keeping track of them in the field. Brought a box of red, yellow and green thumb tacks and counted how many there were in the box before I left. Each tree I found was marked with a red one and depending on its size also got a yellow or green one. Yellow meant they were big enough for 2 taps and green meant they were big enough for 3. Figured red would be the most visible in winter.

Its a 1 acre lot and I counted 30 trees and 39 taps reasonably close to the road going across the northern edge of the property. I know of trees along the southern edge of the property but they are less accessible and I have more than enough as is. There were also some other trees close and big enough to tap but didn't look healthy (large section of bark missing, hallowed holes, insect damage etc.)

Now I only have 20 actual tap spiles and even that is going to be pushing whats reasonable with how I'll be boiling. So during the first few days of the season I'm not going to focus so much on collecting sap as I will be on testing the sugar content of the sap. For the rest of the season I'll just tap the ones with the sweetest sap, try to make the best use of my resources.

Around 10 or so of the trees were sugar maples, mostly being concentrated in the eastern part of the property bordering the road. The other 20 or so trees were red maples mostly in the western half. The sugars tended to be larger than the reds with most of my multi-tap trees being the sugar maples.
    2011: 7 norway maples and 1 sugar.(10 taps)
    Photos
    2012: 16 taps, all sugars and reds.
    Photos
    2013: 21 taps

Spent all day yesterday getting the ceiling up in my sugarshack. I need to put the steam hood back up and close it into the cupola. Hopefully I'll soon be able to cut a little more wood, as I have 150 more taps for next spring. I have all my syrup sold, last year it took until almost sugar season to move the same amount.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Tomorrow begins the last semester of my college career. Can't wait to be done! Spent all summer hitting the woods pretty hard. I think at this point I've added somewhere between 1200 and 1400 taps. Still have about a third of this wood lot to get tubed by season and I think it will be doable. Should hit 3000 taps this season pretty easily maybe a few more. Picked up a 1600 GPH lapierre RO last week. Looking forward to getting that set up and online. All in all a good summer and only 4 more days until my weekend begins (no friday classes). I did manage to sneek 3 rolls of 5/16 and tees to make drops while Im sitting in the apartment at night. Hope everyone else is ending the summer with some fun! Season is just around the corner!!

Scott
    7,000 high vac taps
    6x16 leader evap
    2200 GPH Lapierre Turbo RO
    2400 GPH Springtech RO
    To many tanks to count

www.waysidemaplefarms.com
    http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/waysidemaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast