+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supplemental wood for evaporator

Default Supplemental wood for evaporator

I've found out about an Amish mill that makes baseball bats down the road about 15 miles. They sell 3 ft edgeings by the skid. Each piece has at least a 3 inch edge on it. The skids are 3x3x3.- for $ 20. I've been crunching the numbers on it. 27 cu ft to a skid 4 skids is almost a cord for $80, I'm thinking on getting some. It seems to me , it would only take a few minutes to zip a skid in half, for 18 inch pieces. That's just a little short for my 2.5x8 evaporator, but time is money. I also have forks for my skidloader so there's no problem moving them to the sugarshack. Also forgot to mention it's all hard maple, should dry good and burn good. It looks to me like it would be a better deal than, say a pickup load of wood for $75; you would have to unload it, stack it ,and then get it to the sugarshack. I have wood cut, but to supplement the pile, it don't look like a bad deal!!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Back in the 80s I burned a lot of slab wood and it burned hot and fast. It was all free to me so why not. Your deal sounds real good though. I would give it a try for sure.

Spud

I get the same type of thing here. Ours is 39" long. We get a skid 6' x about 5' x 39" for $20. Usually ash but a couple of years I got a lot of hard maple. I wonder why theirs is only 30". This place is looking for a finished blank of 36".

It probably is 39" long, I didn't see the wood. I just heard about it from a customer. I would be able to haul 2 skids on my trailer, thinking I'll give it a try
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

+ Reply to Thread