+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will this old vacuum setup work for me?

Default Will this old vacuum setup work for me?

Hi Everyone,
    So my friend and I started a sugaring opperation at our High School, last season we taped 200 trees all on gravity. The other day I was at a yard sale and the guy was selling what he called a suction pump for sugaring. Unfortunatly I don't have any photos, but I can tell you what I know about it. The way it works is you connect your mainline into one side of it, and then you have a hose runing out the other side with the sap its pumping out, then to make sure the pump is not running dry there is another 'line in' that pumps sap out of the tank back through the pump and into the tank again. Right now it is hooked up to an old Wisconsin engine, although I am considering if I get it changing it over to electric. This pump didn't have a releaser or anything like what the new ones look like, it seemed really simple. The setup is really old, and it might even be home made. I'm wondering what you all know about this sort of a setup. The guy want's 25 bucks for it and then I'd probobly put some money into changing it over to electric..Anyway would this be worthwhile? All input is appreciated. Also (just have to throw this out there) we (my school) are still looking for lots of sugaring items, specificity an evaporator or anything really, so if anyone has one they could donate I'd love to hear from you...

Thanks for the help
    -Brian

sounds like you may have a sihi vacuum pump hooked up without an extractor? the have an inlet, outlet and waterfeed. sounds like the mainline comes in on the suction side, blows the sap out the exhaust and keeps it prime constantly by having the sap feed in the cold water inlet. Correct me anyone if im wrong. I run a 3404 sihi and it will pull 27.5" in my woods with a cold water feed. However the way you describe it may have been set up i would not consider pratical, due to the fact that they will run warm and will heat up sap if hooked up in this manor. Anyone else?

I say that without pictures or a name plate it is hard to tell what it is.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Need more info, it might be a sap puller. If it is the tubes will need replacing. A sap puller just uses the roller principle. A roller or series of rollers pinch a tube and "walk" the sap from the inlet to the outlet. They need no releaser. Glen Goodrich sells them for smaller operations. Quite effective but the tubes that get pinched need routine replacement.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The Sap Puller that Goodrich sells is not a tube pump. It is a diaphragm pump. The tube pump was called a Sap Sucker. (aka peristaltic pump) Either one can run dry. If it is not one of these it should not have sap going through the pump. I do not think from the description given it is either, but we still need pictures or more info.
    Last edited by wiam; 07-24-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    A sap puller just uses the roller principle. A roller or series of rollers pinch a tube and "walk" the sap from the inlet to the outlet. They need no releaser.
    What you're describing is technically known as a peristaltic pump, AKA a "Sap Sucker." A decent description here

The pump sold by Goodrich is a diaphragm pump, known as the "Sap Puller." General description here. They are different.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the correction.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread