+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Syrup?

Hybrid View

Default Flying with Syrup?

I know a topic like this came up before, but I couldn't find it in a search. So, apologies in advance.

Are there any dos, don'ts, or tips to flying with syrup? I'm bringing a few quart-sized jugs to friends out west. I'd like to bring some glass bottles because they look nice. Is that playing with fire? I'm planning on packing them with my checked bags.

Is there any danger to the jugs b/c of altitude or air pressure? How about with the TSA? Do big jugs of liquid get red flagged?

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Pad glass very well, wrap in multiple heavy plastic bags incase it does break. 4 ounce restictions are for carry ons only(i believe). Planes are pressurized for altitude or we would all have serious problems. You will deffinatly need to have it labeled so as not to raise any suspicions.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Wrap well with bubble wrap and expect the bagage carriers to whip your bag around.
    Don't plan on takeing any onboard into the cabin. Unless you are under 3.4 oz.
    I have been ammazed by some recent damage by airlines on products in my bags.

If you have any doubts check out this link. http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Very well said Doc. It surprises me how many people complain about airport security. I have no problem spending an extra hour or so at the airport all in helping to keep me and others safe.

Spud

I agree, while the security is bothersome, unfortunately it has become necessary. I would be real upset if a loved on (or anyone else) were lost to a terrorist efforts because the security believed the culprit that is was "maple syrup for gift giving" and did not do any checking. If I was one who died in such an effort I like to think I'd be making syrup in heaven and not just in the inferno arch of satin.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Update:

Well, the syrup got the attention of the TSA. I ended up going with just plastic and I double bagged it and I packed it deep in the middle of the bag. When I got to the hotel, I realized the lock was missing from the bag. I got a little nervous and started to feel around for the syrup - it wasn't there! Just before my blood boiled over, I found it in another part of the bag with only one ziplock still on it and the bag was wide open. Fortunately, the syrup looks unopened, but the hang card got a little trashed.

I guess the syrup did raise eyebrows. I'm glad the syrup is okay, but I'm a little annoyed they snapped the lock off and weren't very careful with the syrup. I called the airline and they basically said that they didn't have anything to do with it and that the TSA is supposed to leave a note in the bag if they have to open it. There wasn't a note.

All in all I'm glad the syrup made it and I'm glad security is being thorough. That's what's most important. I just got my feathers ruffled from trying to do the right thing and still not doing the right thing. Maybe I should have declared what's in the bag when I check it or maybe put a sticker on the outside saying something. I actually thought of doing that, but then I didn't want to draw too much attention to the bag. I don't know.

So, I thought I'd pass on what happened and maybe it's helpful for anyone else flying with syrup.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I'm planning on packing them with my checked bags.
    As long as they are in checked luggage you should be fine. You aren't allowed to bring liquids in carry-ons, unless they comply with the 3-1-1 rule. Use plastic jugs, and put them inside a zip-lock bag to be sure. I've had several people tell me about having syrup end up over everything in their suitcase.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

It's true that the 3oz rule is only for carry-on. I've flown with syrup in glass many times. Plastic is definitely a safer bet, but I've never had one break on me. My usual method was wrap in bubble wrap, double zip-loc in one gallon freezer bags, then incorporate your clothing into the padding scheme, i.e. don't put the syrup near any of the edges, but wrap it in shirts and put it in the middle of the luggage. I also usually completely covered the bubble wrap in tape, my theory being that it would prevent the shards of glass from cutting the ziploc bags. Like I said, plastic is a safer bet, but you're right, glass looks schnazzier. Good luck whatever you decide, that stuff is expensive out there, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quick note, you SeanD, you had posted this thread twice, I deleated the other one.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I haven't had a an issue with traveling with it but honestly I don't even lock my bags anymore I had 2 locks cut from my bags over the years and no notes either. (not that I was aware they needed to) and yes security we all hate it but agreed it is something that is now needed to protect our saftey from the crazy nut balls out there. Too bad now the rules on movie theaters are going to change next with this mess out west...your going to have to have a full cavity search to watch the next disney cartoon movie with your kids. not to change the subject but what an awful story out there!!! feel bad for those folks!!! I personally hope that guy gets everything thats coming to him. maybe a caining or something than just rotting in jail everyday!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast