+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Journal

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    What is the chances of me getting 5000 for next season? Should I be putting my name on a list now? I would hate to see the big operations buying them up and not giving the little guy's like myself the chance to buy some. What type of production per tap could I expect from using the new CV2 on two year old pipeline verses just using a new clear smart spout for a second year? Without the use of a stubby this makes me think there would be less vac leaks as well.
    No idea on the availability (again, I'm not involved or privy to Leader's business plans or operation). We're hoping we're able to get some too. ;^)

We'll be presenting our results on the CV2 at meetings this year. In general, increases are about the same or larger (probably depends on the type of season) than the original version. The expected gain depends upon a lot of factors. We did test them against other clear spouts this year with good results.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm looking forward to using these. I've never like having to use a stubby w/ reducer. They tend to separate during the season and it's just one more piece to buy. I'll probably cut all my stubbies off and start using these moving forward. Why are they built like CDL's tomahawk instead of a straight seasonal?

Not much going on here maple related. Just have been selling product which is moving well. We've actually almost sold out of this season's production and it's only June. I haven't checked, but I think we're ahead of last year in terms of sales. Planning on expenses for next season, currently not too high, but will if we expand into a new woods. We're also trying to work something out with two schools: one to expand their existing maple program and the other will be bringing the program back in. We'll see how it goes. Current plans are to expand the vac. woods another 150 taps (~800 total) and expand the bucket operation...shooting for 1200 total w/out the schools, more if they do.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    Why are they built like CDL's tomahawk instead of a straight seasonal?.
    Simple...so they can be reseated if they frost heave.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Lapierre carries a driver so that you can reseat them while the tubing's still on. I figured a straight spout would be easier/cheaper to cast.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

I have heard good things about the CDL smart spout. how has that compaired to the CV/CV2 in the testing? they seem to be much less expensive close to 1/2 the price last time I checked. just curious...but looking forward to the 1 piece with no stubby but at the same time you still have to worry about getting ring line plugs to make sure everything is buttoned up tight, right? All the Tee's I have are leader t's for the stubby!!!

Nothing going on maple here either. a few sales but we have had some stuff stored in the mud room and the farm stand is currently closed(since I got ripped off last year) so sales have been a little slow in general. but I am gonna re-open my farm stand in the next few days and just put out pints with a note for larger containers to come up to the house. No honey yet should have some in a few weeks granted theres still some good nectar flows.

Been working like crazy on chicken coupes and little odds and ends projects. after all the chicken stuff is done then and I get all the wood finished... I have a bunch of trees down in the woods that I cut down last month but haven't done anything with them yet. I have all my neighbors contributing their unwanted pine to my maple pile all chunked up and everything all I have to do is split it so nice I guess I will have share a little syrup!!! pretty cool though the pile has doubled and I haven't add a piece to it!!!

then once all thats done then I can start on my maple stuff!!! sugarhouse addition, adding air to the arch, moving the arch a bit to center things out hopefully add a cement pad under it. re-brick it with split bricks to open things up a bit. So much to do!!!

alrighty back to work!!!! Guess I should update my signature...less than 9 months togo!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

IMO - We'll stick with the CV and stubby. We've used 900 clear polycarbonate spouts in one of our woods the past 2 seasons with good reasults. However, for the amount of labour involved to cut off the old one and install a new one I can spend a lot of time making other improvements in the woods. I don't mind installing spouts - once!

Thanks for the updates Dr Tim.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I am also going to try the polycarbonate inserts this year instead of the CV on some of my vac taps.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Well, I guess I can add to this. I have framed in my 2 X 6 evaportor this spring. I just washed 33 3 to 5 gallons bakery pails that I picked up this week. I also just picked up 13 - 2' X 4' sheets of 2 inch fiberex insulation I found on Craigs List for $50. I have about 1 cord of pallet wood cut and stacked and have some boxelder wood to pick up when the hay is cut at my boss's place.

why not use the clear poly spouts the 1st year when the tubing is nice and new and then decide to use either the stuby and CV or the new clear CV2.

For what I have seen in some of those articles the cv's don't make a huge difference the 1st year of new tubing.

I would like to have know about the new CV2, I just bought enough stuff to do the woods at my dad's cabin and I will be using the stubby and cv combo.

I agree that it is a real pain to deal with the fact of how to seal up the system after the season. One companies T's will not work with another companies stubbies. If you are using those clear throw away spouts the 1st year, which T to use? Because the next year I will be running stubbies and will need the pin type T. See what I mean.
    Now it does sound like the new CV2's can be removed without any tools or cutting, right? if that is the case then using the T's that have the cup thing for plugging tubing would work.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    IMO - We'll stick with the CV and stubby. We've used 900 clear polycarbonate spouts in one of our woods the past 2 seasons with good reasults. However, for the amount of labour involved to cut off the old one and install a new one I can spend a lot of time making other improvements in the woods. I don't mind installing spouts - once!

Thanks for the updates Dr Tim.
    I don't understand what you mean here? All seasonal spouts need to be removed at the end of the season and then replaced in the spring, unless you leave them for the summer and then replace in the spring. Either way, you doing the same amount of work. I don't personally see how a CV on a stubby is less work than a clear seasonal spout. If you then consider the time and cost it takes to replace the stubbies that the squirrels chewed, it seems to me that the spouts without the stubby are much easier, cheaper and quicker.

Not trying to be a jerk here but just wondering what you mean. I'm also trying to wrap my head around why anyone would use a stubby in the first place.

I'm planning on just replacing drops every two years and using seasonal spouts. For my production, this seems to be the most cost effective spout/drop sanitation system. That said, a producer in my area with 15,000 taps does the same thing.
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 06-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast