+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R/O in off season

Default R/O in off season

This is the first year we are leaving or considering leaving the R/O in the sugar house. We usually take it to the basement to keep it cool. Is there any problems that long time users can think of that would be detrimental to the unit. Does heat play a problem with the membranes even if they are treated with the appropriate solution for bacteria, etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies, Craig

That's where we leave ours.

I leave my mombrane in the sugar house as well. It is sealed and insulated, and wont bet hot in there. Never had any problem with that. The big thing is keeping the RO from freezing.
    Make sure all the lines are drained so no goobers start growing.
    It is amazing that after washes and rinses bacteria still wants to grow in lines if they aren't drained.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I run a dehumidifier in the RO room during the summer. I also put a stash of dry paper towels inside the electrical box to absorb any extra moisture that may be around. be sure to remove prior to the next startup.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Thanks, I am just a little concerned about the membranes. It does get warm in the sugar house in the summer but I figured that if it was treated it should be good. Just looking for input.

Craig

Directly from Dow's Web Site

 Keep elements moist at all times after initial wetting.
     If operating limits and guidelines given in this bulletin are not strictly followed, the limited warranty will be null and void.
     To prevent biological growth during prolonged system shutdowns, it is recommended that membrane elements be immersed in a preservative solution.
     The customer is fully responsible for the effects of incompatible chemicals and lubricants on elements.
     Avoid permeate-side backpressure at all times.

Also most manufacures recommend you haveing your membrains washed rountinely to maintain efficency.

+ Reply to Thread