+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum monitoring system

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default Vacuum monitoring system

Hi Folks,

Figured I'd tell people a little about a "fun" project we did here at the UVM PMRC this past season. There is a requirement for students in the UVM Engineering College to do a senior team project of some sort. They are presented several different topics and get to choose the one they want to work on. We proposed last fall that a team build a "wireless maple vacuum monitoring system". We worked with a group of 3 students who consulted with us extensively about what we wanted, and then went back and forth with them several times in regards to what we (thought) we wanted and how to do it.

The end result of this was that they built us 11 sensors (Picture 1) to put in various sections of the mainline system throughout one part of our woods. Each sensor contained a microprocessor and 900 mHz communications, batteries, and a temperature and pressure sensor. In addition there was a base sensor. In use, the base sensor was down at the sugarhouse near the pump, and the vacuum level of the other sensors was compared to the base sensor. We could adjust the vacuum differential to monitor how far each individual vacuum sensor in the woods was from the base sensor. A hard-wired display board allowed us to see at a glance whether each sensor in the woods were within our setpoint of the base sensor (green LED, Picture 3), were below the base sensor (red LED, indicating a leak), or had lost communications (blue LED). Upon a leak occurring, an alarm could sound (can also be silenced). A measurement of each sensor was made every 2 minutes throughout the season, and all the data were logged on an SD card.

Attachment 5771 Attachment 5772 Attachment 5773

The base sensor communicated to a computer via a small interface running at 2.4 GHz, where we could observe all the pressures and temperatures for each sensor, and also see graphically what the last 10 readings for each sensor had been. If there was a leak (based upon a setpoint vacuum level), a warning box would pop up on the computer screen. Optionally the system could also send out an email or a text message to alert the operator of a leak or other problem.

The goal was to build a system that would let the sugarbush manager know almost immediately if there was a leak and to pinpoint the probable location of the leak within 100 yards or better. In this way, we could reduce the need to have employees constantly patrol the woods for leaks, but rather detect and fix problems (leaks) very quickly if they occurred, because leaks reduce vacuum, which reduces sap yield.

We had a lot of fun playing around with the system, introducing leaks in places (after the season was over) and plan to do a lot more work developing this system. It was very interesting to watch each of the lines as things froze up and then again as they thawed out. This system will definitely help us understand the limitations and advantages of different types of tubing sytems, and help to optimize designs (future research).

So....one of the reasons to post this is to see what kinds of things sugarmakers MIGHT like to see in such a system. We already know we need to work on the range (probably using dedicated repeaters to extend the distance), and are also considering having a ranging system for use in the woods (two purposes....to check signal to the base station to aid in positioning sensors, and secondarily for use by people in the woods fixing leaks....this way they'd get immediate feedback via the roving unit whether their repair was successful).

Similar systems could also be made to measure vacuum level and tank level in remote areas (but these would require either cell phone or internet access at the monitored site).

So....what else would you like?

Finally....no, you can't buy this system. The students may at some point be interested in producing something that would be commercially available, but we aren't at that point quite yet.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 05-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr. Tim

This is a really cool system. I would like to have a sensor on the end of every mainline. Thank you for sharing this with us on Trader.

Spud

Could the folks doing repairs in the woods have a hand-held that would enable them to enter data on what they repaired (perhaps with a caategory)? It would be nice to build a knowledge base for trending and Pareto Charts to move from corrective to preventive maintenance.

Great stuff, my thanks to you and the students for a very well planned experiment.

Makes me want to go back to school....but wait, I was a liberal arts major..."would you like fries with that?"
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

That is definitely a great idea! The gauge at the releaser may tell you there's a problem but not where! It will be a time saver for sure.

Does the system need line of sight to the base (sugar camp)? Our woods are so up and down in every direction it may not be feasible.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

something you may want to check out. this system has been in use in quebec for several years and works well i have seen it at at least 5 different sugar operations of no less than 60000 taps each. monitoring tubing, running vac pumps, sap transfer pumps, sap tank levels, you name it they can do it. www.acertronix.com i will be upgrading to this in a year or two.
    western territory manager for h2o innovation
    past professional tubing installer
    16x32 heavy timber frame sugarhouse
    2600 taps on vacuum
    [url]www.photobucket.com/grossmanbrothers[/url
    www.ohiomapleproducts.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by jason grossman View Post
    something you may want to check out. this system has been in use in quebec for several years and works well i have seen it at at least 5 different sugar operations of no less than 60000 taps each. monitoring tubing, running vac pumps, sap transfer pumps, sap tank levels, you name it they can do it. www.acertronix.com i will be upgrading to this in a year or two.
    We installed a pre-cursor/similar system to this several years ago called "Maple Tek", although I don't know that this system has any relationship to the Acertronix system (although they look quite similar). It had a huge number of problems associated with it, the primary one being that everything had to be run off a computer in the sugarhouse. Computers + cold + wet = Unhappy computers = unhappy producers. This system also relied upon paddle-wheel style flow-sensors for measuring sap flow, which sugared up and jammed, causing flow reductions and blockages in the pipes. It was also extremely expensive since they had to come in and wire it all up and do the total installation. We ended up spending so much time trouble-shooting that system that we eventually we just scrapped it altogether. I don't think there is a single part still in operation here. Perhaps we just had an early model that still needed the bugs worked out. Hopefully they've improved it a lot since that time.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 05-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Going back to the KISS theory, couldn't you just run a small tubing line back to your monitoring station and put a vacuum gauge on it there.
    Yes the monitoring tubing could be damaged and leak, and there might be some loss, but reference points could be established would give relative values for each line. Sort of like a wet / dry system. Low tech, low cost, owner installed and maintained.

Edit:
    and if you don't like the result, the investment is almost 100% recoverable. Who among us will never buy more tubing and vacuum guages ??
    Last edited by Brent; 05-20-2012 at 11:05 AM.

The company Gopro is getting close to a useful product for maple producers without knowing it. Currently they are releasing their HERO 3 that has Wifi capability to an iphone. Meaning that you can use this camera at $400 to monitor something withing range of 600 ft they claim.

I've been searching for an inexpensive product to monitor sap tanks, RO, and Vacuum pumps. from 5 miles away. Obviously this product won't cut it for me but i believe in the future they could come up with a solution for leaving a camera in a remote spot and monitoring in from a far with a computer or phone for a reasonable cost.

If anyone is searching for inspiration however, I could see myself using this product to monitor sap tank, Ro's, and vacuum pumps within a 600ft radius of your home. My problem with this is i'm not so lazy that i can't monitor 600ft from my home to decide to pay $400 dollars. Once the range become larger, then i would give this product another look.

If anyone has any advice for a monitoring system (camera system) for an investment around $500. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

Does anyone have any experience with the CDL monitoring system ? I see they have a double vacuum sensor, how far from the mainlines can you put the sensor and still be accurate ? My mains are about 200 ' apart can I just use the double sensor and save some money? Or should I just spend the few hundred extra and put single line sensors in ?

+ Reply to Thread