+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whos king of New York?

*brady and what rightfull home?
    Brady Smart,
    40,000 vacuum taps
    3,000 GPH Lapierre R.O
    volcano evaporator

sorry for the spelling, i think this forum is for the NY producers assoc. Don't worry a mod will move it.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleack View Post
    This thread is kind of like a 7th grader peaking left and right in the locker room. Learn everything you can about maple, make the best syrup you can and share the knowledge you gain with others. Tap counts might make us feel good but don't truly matter.
    Im not sure how to take this. One part of me thinks you are saying it doesnt matter just worry about your own taps and be proud. Then the other part of me thinks, is this guy nuts if tap count doesnt matter then tell me where the heck do we make our money? I sure know its made in the woods and woods are where the taps are and the more taps I have the more syrup Im going to make which in returns makes money. So yeah taps count sure matters to me lol. Now as far as the 7th grader when he is looking left and right is he not sizing up his competition and see where he hangs in the big picture? So if my neighbor is outproducing me with taps and makes more syrup and therefore its possible he is able to undersell my pricing because he has a bigger crop to cover his expense I sure want to know about his tap count and what mine needs to be at to keep in the market. I suppose if you are a hobby guy then who gives a crap. And yeah why is this thread in the NY producers associations section.

I was just saying tap count isn't everything and doesn't tell the true story, and isn't something to brag about. A 10,000 tap producer might make a qt per tap and a 5,000 tap producer might make a half gallon per tap. Same amount of syrup, which producer is more impressive? There are just too many variables to get hung up on tap numbers. I've tasted med A syrup made at 10,000 tap bushes that was crap and med A syrup from 50 tap bushes that was some of the best I've ever had, and vice versa.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Outsider looking in-40,000 tap is the biggest so far. Might as well ask, what is a good syrup year for you Brady (syrup/tap)

I have a moderate size, young sugar bush, and am constantly looking at ways to improve the sugar bush. A lot of tree work that I will probably never see the real reward for. But thats ok. I love it.
    So if I get my season average of 1.8% sugar to 2.3 in the next 10 years, I will feel like a king. Thats good enough for me. And I know I buy sap from a guy who goes out behind his house to a bunch of trees he has never done a thing to, regarding managing for sugar, and he pulls seasonal average of 3.3. That doesnt say a thing about him, other that he has the gumption to go get it.

I still like hearing about the big operations, like some Canuk with a 300,000 on high vac system with 12" water mains running his sap into his sugaring complex....LOVE IT!
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

a good year? prob 10000 to 11000 gal. but all this stuff about the syrup ratio being greater from each tree in a small bush compared to a large bush. yeah good for who own the small bush, but it depends on the climate of that bush and where it is. so when you have a large producer maybe they arent getting the same gpt but they may have bushes who get the same or better then the guy whos smaller then them.
    Brady Smart,
    40,000 vacuum taps
    3,000 GPH Lapierre R.O
    volcano evaporator

Default This season

Brady, do you mind telling what you made this year? I'm more curious from a standpoing of knowing the state's general concensus of production. We have several friends up in your area that didn't have a good season. We had an acceptable season here in central ny as long as you got started early with tapping. I know I've never made so much early syrup, but the middle was the end.

I do know your dad and uncle and have been up to your place several times as your facility has grown and improved over the years.

Thanks

i cant give out the exact figures b.c they dont want me to but between 8000 and 9000 like i said it was alright of a season, could have been better and could have been worse.
    Brady Smart,
    40,000 vacuum taps
    3,000 GPH Lapierre R.O
    volcano evaporator

so you got between 2. and .22 gallons per tap.

sure if you want to be technical
    Brady Smart,
    40,000 vacuum taps
    3,000 GPH Lapierre R.O
    volcano evaporator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast