+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to move to Kentucky

Last season I heard a rumor that someone who taps a few trees in the Charleston,WV area first run was off favor, probably bud sap from the start. I was afraid that I was going to have the same problem, I guess my elevation saved me, plus I am at least 200 mile north of Charleston. I have a sister who lives in Brandenburg,Ky., about 20 miles South of Louisville. Where is Green County? South of Louisville?

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Yes, we are south of Louisville about 80 miles. This weather is killing us. They are giving out three nights of freezing ~27degrees and then three nights around 37 with the days ranging from 38 - 51 degrees. Has anyone else had problems with this type of weather?

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Quote Originally Posted by afretired View Post
    Yes, it takes the freezing and thawing, but the problem is the week or so of 50 degree weather and then a few days of 25/45 degrees then back into the 50s. Last year we had the same thing and the sugar content was real low and it had an off flavor. I believe we need several weeks of hard freezing then the freezing/thawing cycle to produce good syrup.

David
    Have you collected sap yet? We are having a much better season than last year. Most of the syrup is very light. We have a bit of a warm up now, but temps are supposed to drop Monday night, so we are hopeful to keep on. We have 50 taps and so far have 93 jars of syrup, almost all 12 oz. jars. We are happy. We started Dec. 23, much earlier than last year, when we had 75 jars of maple syrup. The weather is definitely crazy though. Good luck to you. I know it is discouraging to wait and wait, for just the right conditions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12