+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS'ing for elevation

Quote Originally Posted by The Sweet Spot View Post
    If the GPS can accurately map the trees, is there a way of overlaying the tree locations on a USGS map?
    Yes, you can do that with nearly any basic Topo software and easily with ArcMap (ArcGIS). However, I wouldn't trust the contour intervals completely, as they're not always perfect either. Has anyone tried an altimeter? Some are fairly accurate. I know one of my GPS units has one built in, but I've never messed with it much to know it's accuracy.
    Last edited by Maple Hunter; 01-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    2010: 5 buckets and a 30gal pot
    2011: 25 buckets and a 17x33 SS homemade evap
    2012: 25 buckets and a 17x33 SS evaporator that isn't cutting it anymore

Thanks Maple Hunter, I'm not the only one to notice this. The usgs shows my lines very different than they are.

Many states and/or counties have flown LiDAR and have generated very accurate contours and hillshades. Look up your state or county's GIS daa. If you want free GIS Software I can help you with that.
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sweet Spot View Post
    If the GPS can accurately map the trees, is there a way of overlaying the tree locations on a USGS map?
    YEs there is. If you want I can help you create a very nice map with your GPS points and showing accurate elevation.
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

I believe topo maps are drawn from areal photos. As such, lines are drawn thru a picture full of trees. Can't be 100%, but the get fairly close.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Best way to get most out of your elevation is run your wire. Then start at the releaser go to first tree it touches we made a two foot level with hook on one end .and 2/3/4/5 % hookes on the other end . Then work your way up the line in betewn tree start at 2% if geting to low go back and start over. When you have set right put nail in tree to hold wire and works as good referance point for future if tree takes line down. I do now side tying . If tree falls on line I can have back up level in now time.
    1250 vac
    1000 bags
    Partner
    1000 vac
    500 bags
    4x14 with piggy back
    600 gal ro gas powerd
    Also buy sap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12