+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDA Inspection

Default FDA Inspection

Anyone ever go through an FDA inspection of their syrup operation? I guess we were randomly selected and they are coming tommorow. I'm curious as to what they will be looking for. We've been inspected by the USDA before but not the FDA.

No and it doesn't sound like fun. I hope it goes ok for you. Let me know if you find out what prompted them to be interested in observing how you make maple syrup....
    The sweetest trees are not always the oldest and the biggest...
    [url]www.facebook.com/oldetymewine
    www.facebook.com/brandybrookmaplefarm

1999: 100 taps in one sugarbush
    2007: 2000 taps in one sugarbush
    2010: 7000 taps in 5 sugarbushes
    2014: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes
    2015: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes & 40 birch taps
    2016: 10,000 taps in 7 sugarbushes & a new winery
    2017: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & WINE
    2018: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & Wine

The inspector called and said we were randomly picked off of the USDA's list. Looking at the FDA's list of requirements they want a recall plan and a whole bunch of other items above and beyond the USDA's. Boy it's going to be interesting. We have a very clean building and all of our equipment in the sugar house is new within the last 5 years so I've got my fingers crossed.

Default Hope all goes well!

I hope it goes smoothly for you. I'm sure it will be fine. Just makes you wonder "why" sometimes. What we don't need is more and more regs, etc. I know that a lot of it is for food safety, etc...but most farmers (besides maple producers) don't heat their product to the sterilizing temperatures we do. Anyway, keep me posted and good luck!
    The sweetest trees are not always the oldest and the biggest...
    [url]www.facebook.com/oldetymewine
    www.facebook.com/brandybrookmaplefarm

1999: 100 taps in one sugarbush
    2007: 2000 taps in one sugarbush
    2010: 7000 taps in 5 sugarbushes
    2014: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes
    2015: 9000 taps in 6 sugarbushes & 40 birch taps
    2016: 10,000 taps in 7 sugarbushes & a new winery
    2017: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & WINE
    2018: 10,000 taps in 5 sugar bushes & birch & Wine

Check this thread out at sugarbush.info.

http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/showthread.php?t=851
    2239 total taps. 443 gravity line, 1806 buckets

3x12 remake of a Small Bros. Lightning evaporator.
    3x9 Darveau raised flue pan, 3x3 D&G reversible finishing pan.
    Reist arch

94 Argo 8x8 Magnum
    06 Argo 8x8 Avenger with a 100 US gal. poly tank in the back.
    30 - 45 Imperial gallon gathering station barrels
    1200 Imperial gallons in holding tanks
    Husqvarna 61
    Husqvarna 365

WOW, This is getting too close to home! My neighbor was telling me of someone he knew that lost his syrup license not too far from us, but I can't remember who he said it was. When the inspector came to my place he gave me a check for not having a double wash sink and one for not having hot running water.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Meridian- I work with FDA weekly and have been thru numerous site inspections at work,

Answer only the questions they ask as clearly but concisely as you can. Don't get into story telling. It is uncomfortable at times but let them lead. Refrain from using words such as 'generally' 'most of the time' 'occaisonally' 'usually' etc. They are looking for consistency of manufacture which in turn provides consistent product. Cleanliness obviously is huge and first impressions go along way. They may check how you calibrate instruments such as hydrometers, thermometers, refractometers. I would expect them to check your label and you may need to explain your cleaning process of both the sugarhouse and RO. They also tend to see if you have pest prevention such as mouse traps. Good Luck PM with any questions or observations they cite you for and I can look up code of regulations for you.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Can someone with experience at this clarify "who is in charge"? Are these inspections limited by regulation or even custom to just the bigger producers? It would seem that smaller operations, let's say less than 500 or 1000 gallons of syrup, and those not selling wholesale to retail outlets, would not be targeted by FEDERAL inspectors. The posts in this discussion talk about USDA and FDA, both of which are Federal, but do not mention State regulators. How is the Nanny-Nation creeping into your maple syrup:>) When I sugared in Vermont, years ago, using old lead-soldered pans, we did get a lead check on syrup we had in a general store by VT Agency of Ag folks. They didnt do much more than say we needed to upgrade equipment, which was done immediately. When I moved to WI and got a new sugarbush and new equipment, by the second year I was ready to go retail. My understanding of "retail" means any middle-man sales to anyone, i.e. sales where you are not handing your product to the end customer at what amounts to the "farm gate". To put our syrup in 1 convenience store and 1 little town bakery, we had to go through the license process with the County Health department for 3 wash pans, hot water etc for the filtering, jugging etc. And pay them something like $100 for the inspection.
    I am at a loss to see how USDA and FDA are getting into Maple - unless it is at the big-boy end!
    Steve

I have never heard of the FDA doing maple inspections. The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection requires a food processing plant license be issued on operations that produce and sell more than $5,000 per year. It seems that sales direct from the farm do not have to count towards the $5,000. This would be state.

To me it would be unconstitutional for the FDA to be involved. In relating to dairy plants....my father has had the federal goons at the farm, but the only reason is because where he ships milk does from time to time move milk out of state to another of their facilities in Ohio, therefore putting Con-Agra, and any milk patrons under federal rules.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

A recall plan is really quite simple. I have had to work on one for our apple cider.

You make up a "recall notice/press release" Look at the big companies word-usage to get a feel of the "we want to take precautions, no need to panic, return unused portion for complete refund. . ." idea.

You post the notice at any location where you normally sell the product in question, and make a list of media outlets to send a copy to. I have two such lists, depending on where the batch in question was sold. If any of the batch in question was sold at farmers markets or any off-site sales I will include the big city media, radio, and tv. Ninety-nine percent of our product is sold at our farm stand to regular customers, so my recall notice will go there and to the local newspapers where we advertise. With cider it really is just a formality, since the product will be completely consumed or spoil before the recall machinery can spring into action.

Batch codes or dates will allow you to recall only specific amounts of production. If you don't have that you will have to recall your entire production, which could be costly for maple syrup.

This is coming for all food production, from being able to track which tree produced and which picker touched an Apple to the field location where each Zuchinni came from. The FDA suffered a big embarrassment between the Tomato and Spinach contamination, spending weeks tracking down the problem. This tracking is better for us really if you look at it right. If there is some tainted maple syrup out there don't you want to be able to isolate the damage? You don't want people to be scared to consume your product, it takes five years for sales to return to normal after any "e-coli in cider" outbreaks in our region of the country.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast