+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar "TOXIC"?

Default Sugar "TOXIC"?

Did any of you happen to watch 60 Minutes on Sunday night. Now they are calling sugar toxic to human beings! I surely hope this was their version of an April FOOLS joke! Anyone care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugburn View Post
    Did any of you happen to watch 60 Minutes on Sunday night. Now they are calling sugar toxic to human beings! I surely hope this was their version of an April FOOLS joke! Anyone care to comment?
    Yeah, it's all the rage of the crunchies to bash sugar. Some loser over in Vermont wants to put a tax on all drinks with added sugar because of all the fat kids waddling around today.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryW View Post
    Yeah, it's all the rage of the crunchies to bash sugar. Some loser over in Vermont wants to put a tax on all drinks with added sugar because of all the fat kids waddling around today.
    i think they're trying that everywhere around the country. now i'm not that old and we had video game systems while i was growing up in the 80's. if the kids these days would drop the cell phone,computers and games and went outside and played or found something constructive to do this wouldn't be an issue.

I didn't see 60 Minutes but I've read some on the subject here and there. I wouldn't be so quick to discredit the idea that the over-consumption of sugar can have more harmful affects than just weight gain and cavities. I'll assume it was over-consumption that was the gist of the TV piece.

From what I've read, sugar consumption has exploded in the US since the 1970-80's. Per capita sugar consumption in the US is something like 70-90 lbs/year. By anyone's count, that's a lot of sugar. In recent years there have been dramatic increases in obesity and diabetes, heart disease and cancer. We are now seeing many young children with adult onset diabetes which was almost unheard of in the past. What is being looked at as a cause is something called metabolic syndrome where high intake of sugar causes high insulin levels, conversion of sugar to fat by the liver and insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is also thought to be responsible for some cancers. The evidence of health effects from metabolic syndrome are there in animal studies and it at least deserves more investigation imho. Obesity, diabetes and heart disease account for a lot of our healthcare dollars. If lowering sugar consumption would benefit health then I would not be opposed to a soda tax.

That said, like everything, sugar may best be enjoyed in moderation. It is not necessarily that sugar by itself is toxic but that consuming large amounts is what's responsible for many of the adverse health conditions we're seeing increase. Though I agree that everyone, including kids, should lead more active lives, increasing activity alone may not be enough.

They are talking primarily about simple sugars such as high fructose corn syrup that are easily broken down by the body and cause major blood sugar spikes. Complex sugars like maple sugar are good.

Not all "sugar" is the same thing chemically.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

There is always a 100 percent mortality rate caused by living - actual straw that breaks the camel's back may vary.

Most people do not realize just how easily digestible this processed food is. Eat more raw vegetables that your stomach can't absorb any nutrients from, and you will be healthier. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ctjim View Post
    i think they're trying that everywhere around the country. now i'm not that old and we had video game systems while i was growing up in the 80's. if the kids these days would drop the cell phone,computers and games and went outside and played or found something constructive to do this wouldn't be an issue.
    I have to comment here. Last Sun. we went to a couples house for Sunday dinner. When we got there they wanted to show us ther WI System (they are both in there fortys). They then proceeded to play a skiing game and a ball game were they swung from side to side and try to hit the oncoming ball with there head. Talk about looking retarded ! Then they tried to tell me how much excercise this was. I get more excercise tapping one tree!!!!!!! I was shocked after I saw this at how a grown adult would play this garbage and then have the nerve to call it excercise. Truly pathetic,atleatst in my mind. By the way I refused to even play the moron games. Then they wonder what is wrong with most kids???????????????? They need to go do some real work !

+ Reply to Thread