+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Many Taps on a 5/16 Line

lharris1 Guest

Thanks for the replay. By "the end taps", do you mean the highest on the run. Also, I imagined we were getting some benifit from vacuum with at sealed system and if I vent it, I would lose that benifit.

if you think your having trouble at the bottom then put some there instead of at the highest that shouldn't affect the natural vacum right?

4x10 oil fired
    1500 on tubing

I dont claim to know much but,,,,,I would never vent any of my tubing,,,I would not want outside air getting into my system that easily,,I would worry about my grade being affected immedatly and worry about my taps drying up due to the bacteria traveling into my taps with that ease ,,personally I think the 5/16 tubing has to have a certin "carring capacity" and once you reach a certin # of taps on a good run the tubing just cannot keep up,,on my systems I try to keep it aroung 5 taps per 5/16 line,,,,,,BUT I made .16 gallons per tap this year ,,,,,
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Parker is right :!: The last thing you want is away for bacteria to get into your tubbing system, and lowering your grade!! With all the talk on this site about tap hold sanitation that would defeat any atemp to kill bacteria. ops: Jim L.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

Leader has a page in there catalog that says strive for 5-6 taps, not more than 10??? Dont run the 5/16 more than 100 ft......I think theses are the numbers i read........

Yeah, but Leader also makes and sells a ton of tubing and wants to sell as much as possible. In my opinion, 5 taps per lateral is way too low. Less taps means more tubing, spouts and fittings and more money for manufactures.

I would think 10 would be a good number and 15 is fine, basically it is just what works for you. Larry Harris had some in 2005 season with 30 to 40 on a line and he made .4 per gallon gravity. 8O Wonder what Leader and all the other "experts" have to say about that. 8O
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Default taps

A sugarmaker with 15,000 taps all on vacuum told me at a tubing seminar to strive for 5 with no more than 10 on vacuum and strive for 10 with no more than 20 on gravity. These are good guidelines. I also think it will matter if you are tapping 12 inch trees or big ones. The idea of pulling out a tap at the bottom and seeing if you have pressure coming out is a great way to test your set up.
    JACK
    2.5 x 8 stainless raised flue with preheater.
    60 buckets,365 vacuum
    600 D&G RO
    Lots of tractors--not much time...

mcmp Guest

I agree on the 10 tap guideline. A 5/16 line can flow a given amont of sap. Try to flow more and you will have a slow down. Once the sap slows down, you have more of a chance for the sap to warm and sap quality to go down. Keeping with the 10 tap guideline, the sap will transit the 5/16 to the mainlines quickly. I believe a lot of sap problems are in the tubing and the band aids are UV and air injection. High Quality Sap must be moved from the tree to the holding tanks quickly as possible, with each stage along the way keeping the sap as cool as possible right to the introduction to the evaporator.

Paul

lharris1 Guest

Related to Westvirginia Mapler's comment: I am pretty much dazed and amazed at our results the first year. I think our max number on a 5/16" line may have been about 28 then.

This is changing the subject, but, in ourt first year (2005) we had no bulk storage. Our storage consisted of about a dozen 30 gal drums and two drums connected together for the feed tank. This avoided cross contamination so that if one durm had bacteria, it did not affect the others. We boiled as soon as we would get 180 or so gallons. All of our production down to the final boil out was identical in appearance in pint jars which was medium amber. Maybe lots of 30 gal drums for storage in a small operation is not a bad idea?

Larry,

If you can keep the sap from intermixing, it will keep the lower quality sap to a minimum and definitely help make a better product in the long run vs 1 big bulk tank.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast