+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: North Central Wisconsin

Hey Doug,
    It seems kind of weird sitting here with the windows open listening to those peepers that you are talking about. Poople fuzz flying around in March just seem kind of odd but, all in all the sap was dripping very little today with a very cloudy look. I am going to boil it down in the morning. I am trying to decide if I want to use the RO and be done in 45 minutes or make it 4 hours of a fun boil since there was not much time spent in front of the evaporator. I wish everyone the best.
    Kevin Kraft
    2x8 Lapierre evaporator
    Coster R.O. with two 4" membranes
    16x16 Syrup shack named "The Man Cave"
    2 boys full of maple syrup sugar
    A collie dog named Sam!!
    1 wife that needs to get addicted to maple

I broke 1,000 gallons of sap toady.... out of 475 trees..... total for the season.... Sugar content is 1.75-1.9 out of a woods that does 3+ most years. Was up to Klebenow's on Thursday and he had 3,000 gallons of sap and was cooking, Melvin said it was the third time they had cooked. We have had freezing nights here when a lot of others havn't. Overall I'm considering myself pretty lucky compared to the others in the area. Tonight when I stepped out of the milking parlor all I could hear was frogs. Wierd season, thats for sure.
    Last edited by syrupkid; 03-18-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    18 Years Old
    Been Cooking Since Nine and Constantly Expanding
    275 on Vacuum and 215 Bags
    John Deere 2320
    Wes-Fab 7" Short Stack Filter Press
    Ray Gengrich 250 R/O
    Waterloo/Small 2x8 with Home-Made HP AOF and AUF and Air-Tight Door

we are a little over .1 per tap . It was 78 here today and we got over a gal per tap ! Baffled????

Glad to hear from you Pete! I had close to 2 gallons per tap from 4pm Sat. to 9pm Sunday.......tank running over. 1.7%. yes it is baffling figuring I'd only get a gallon a tap. 81 degrees sunday aft.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Pete the fun is over for me, Time To go get the work truck and load up the tools. Going to Rochester for a week then Start maintance in Stevens Point. It won't be long and we will be cranking out asphalt for the start of another constuction season. I hope you guys can hang on up there alittle longer and make somemore syrup.
    Kevin Kraft
    2x8 Lapierre evaporator
    Coster R.O. with two 4" membranes
    16x16 Syrup shack named "The Man Cave"
    2 boys full of maple syrup sugar
    A collie dog named Sam!!
    1 wife that needs to get addicted to maple

Throwing in the towel tonight. As of 5:00 the pumps are going off. Was a bummer of a season, but we did better then i thought, last couple of days it didn't run that bad. Season total of just over 700 gallons, was hoping to get 2000. I guess planning starts for next year.

For what it's worth, our boiled sap is starting to get the "buddy" smell. We're a little west of Shawano. Maybe some of you guys well north of 29 can luck out. Just kinda watch it so you don't throw in a bunch of buddy sap with your good, unfinished syrup still in the pan.

well this season is over for me, 7 whole pints of syrup what a change from the 9.5 gallons of last year. the kids and i will just have to savor every drop. all we can do is hope for a better next year.

we are still going filled 4 barrels last nite . Very strong flavored lite color syrup. It filtered very hard ! All the syrup filtered hard this year as our sugar sand problems of before werent a problem

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123