+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tubing into 5 gallon bucket

i had holes drilled in my lids (on another setup) and i just made sure that the tubing fit in tight and it didnt leak. im kind of confused about what you mean by funnel?

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Spencer, if water lays on top of the lid and the tubing goes through the lid water could find it's way into the bucket even though the tubing is tight in the hole,thats what was meant by the funnel effect.I drilled into the side near the top also on my 5 gallon pails and it works fine for me.Washing the tubing is no big deal,I soak them in a barrel of water at the end of the season and let them drip dry on the clothes line,of course I don't have hundreds of them to wash either.
    homemade barrel evaporator 2 x 4 divided flat pan 40 taps 10 x 8 sap house hood and pre heater

i didnt wash my 3 drop tubes after this season just let them drain, but should i wash them cause they arnt wet at all. and i dont have hundreds of them...until i get enough taps

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps

Quote Originally Posted by spencer11 View Post
    i had holes drilled in my lids (on another setup) and i just made sure that the tubing fit in tight and it didnt leak. im kind of confused about what you mean by funnel?

spencer
    The water on the lid was not a problem here either. The tubing fit tight enough it wasn't an issue as the lids would be almost full of water after a rain or snow melt and it did not funnel into the pail. I was concerned about this at first - but - it never happened - at least to me. Now an oversize hole in the lid and the funnel effect would be a problem. I agree with Spencer - it works great. -----Mike----

i also use the gray lowes buckets and lids and just snap on one side so i can pick it up and dump it into another bucket or tanks si the lid is at a little angle.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps

Seems like all the 5 gallon buckets and the 50 gallon barrels I pick up have had pickles in them. So - have to wash and rinse a couple of times and air them out good to De-pickle them. But - after that - they work fine for my setup. ----Mike----

dont know if you guys have any dairy farm supply stores in your areas but i get used 15 and 30 gallon food grade plastic drums from our local store, they have had chlorine/sanitizer solutions in them(for sanitizeing bulk tanks and food processing equipment) they are super clean and heavy duty.ive got a bunch and hardly any money in them,4$ each for the 15 gal,and 8$ each for the 30 gal.should have wrote that better,no there not for sale,was just stateing theres cheap ones out there if you know where to look
    Last edited by SPILEDRIVER; 04-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.

I use the tubes into buckets . I just snap the lid onto the bucket on the side away from the tubing so the lid sits at an angle and rain wont puddle on the lid. the tubing fits so tight the water won't leak through anyway even if the lid was level. Doing it this way leaves one side of the lid open a little bit and I do get a few bugs in there. When I pump my collection tank I put a prefilter around the pump and it filters any debris that is in the sap. I haven't seen a lot of operations but this seems to work pretty well for me.
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123