+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: St. Lawrence County

I wouldn't pull taps yet we are getting freeze thaw nearly every day for the ten day forecast. Just made some and has a nice dark amer color. I make batch amounts and have had luck doing an initial filter with 2 or 3 paper cone filters right off the evap at pre syrup. I then filter through Orlon with 5 pre filters. Remove top filter when it slows. Comes out crystal clear

I have filtered a huge amount of gunk out of the syrup this year, but I'll blame it on the low sugar content. Clearly there's more stuff to filter out 60 gallons of sap than there is in 35 gallons. I'm running out of wood, and today's run ought to be nice sap to finish up with. After that I'm looking for someone to take sap to if it runs again.

It was good and cold two nights ago and the next day's warmth lasted through the night. This morning it looks like a lot of nice sap and the temperature is about 33 degrees. I've got enough wood for another day or so, and then I'll be looking for someone who would like the sap from the next several days until it ends.

Interesting that you are getting low sugar. Mine has averaged 3 percent with mostly yard trees.

The sugar levels have improved over the last couple weeks to a high of 3.25% but the year started out at 2% and I went through a lot of wood in early March. Most years in the past I have enjoyed 3.5% for the entire season so I was a bit surprised.

Where are you located Milton? I'm in the Village of Potsdam.

Cooked everything I had today and tomorrow I'll drain the flue pan and fill it with water. Hand feeding that last few gallons always goes faster than I think it will. I had to steal from the house firewood for tomorrow's session and my woodshed will be as clean as a whistle. I've already figured out how to get about four more cords of wood in there for next year.

Michael Greer are you still looking for a home for your sap? I’m located in chase mills.

Sorry but's been spoken for just this afternoon. I finished up cooking today and started the cleaning process, and now it looks like four more days of perfect weather. Next year there will be more firewood.

Finished our last boil tonight. We could stick it out a little longer and gain a few more gallons but it is time to move on to other projects. Started the season in 50 degree weather making some of the darkest syrup we have ever made and finished the season in a snow storm with syrup that graded at the high end of robust,nearly amber. Had a fair amount of Amber in between as well. We don't have an exact tally yet but we are probably somewhere in the 80 plus gallon range. It's a little shy of the past few years but we didn't hang any buckets this year which normally would give us another several gallons. All in all we are satisfied with the season. Time to clean things up and start planning for next season.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast