+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 123456789101121 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Lawrence County

Default St. Lawrence County

I have about 85 (split tubing and buckets) of my hopefully 200-250 taps set as of this morning while trying to set up a new to me 2x8 rig. Things ran a bit yesterday and today but seemed to slow down quickly. I was checking some of the comments from the other regions and they indicate the end may be near or here. I am wondering how things are going for the established producers in the county. I am most interested in learning when people finished tapping and how production going so far. I realize that I may be a bit late this year, considering the weather. Also I am curious about what people are thinking in regards to the next week or so with barely any sub freezing temps in the 10 day forecast.
    12th Year "skip gen" Maple Producer
    St. Lawrence County
    1-'09: 4 gal stock pot, fire pit, 3 taps
    2-'10: Pots, Kitchen Stove & Sap Selling ~110 taps
    3-'11: 8x12 Shack, 146 taps (100 buckets/46 gravity), 16"x77" evaporator (2 flat pans)
    4-'12: 8x16 expanded shack, 147 taps, Leader 2x8 dropped flu
    5-'13: Added 10x20 wood shed, 1st yr on vac
    6-'14: 175 taps, Zero Tank
    7-'15: 230 taps, H20 jacket canner, Vintage Ski Doo Elan
    8-'16: 150 taps
    9-'17: Goal - RO and 250+
    Twitter: @Newman_Zone

IVE been at it six years with 310 taps out this year. I know for the last six years, when ever i see an advanced weather report that looks like a string of great sap flow, it typically becomes much less optimal when it arrives. SO if this is true, the string of hot weather next week should change before it gets here...thats my fuzzy logic. I cant say otherwise, but Im going to leave my taps in untill it gets buddy. I have never seen buddy sap, i have a cold bush and typically run out of energy before it gets buddy. SO far I have only collected about 130 gallons of sap. Im over in Franklin country. good luck

Joust, It is March 9th. Many years I am just tapping by now. We have cold weather to come. I finished tapping this year on Feb 28th. Having little snow made it go a couple of days faster than normal. Some had made some nice syrup by then. This warm trend will grow some bacteria but your taps are relatively fresh so the impact will be minimal. Where in the county are you located? We have many micro climates here so if your area is slightly warmer or colder than another the impact will differ. Good luck and keep asking questions.

[QUOTE=barkeatr;183956] I know for the last six years, when ever i see an advanced weather report that looks like a string of great sap flow, it typically becomes much less optimal when it arrives. SO if this is true, the string of hot weather next week should change before it gets here...thats my fuzzy logic. /QUOTE]

I generally agree, but man they forecasted that warm up this past week to a tee, like 10 days ahead of time. Same goes for this coming week, they have not wavered an inch from their forecast of the pending warm up, due to being Sunday and run through most of next week. Yuck!
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

SOME experienced folk say to stick it out and there will be more season after this warm spell but I dont know if there has been a precident for this. I guess we will find out. how will the leaves get the sugar they need?

[QUOTE=danno;184094]
    Quote Originally Posted by barkeatr View Post
    I know for the last six years, when ever i see an advanced weather report that looks like a string of great sap flow, it typically becomes much less optimal when it arrives. SO if this is true, the string of hot weather next week should change before it gets here...thats my fuzzy logic. /QUOTE]

I generally agree, but man they forecasted that warm up this past week to a tee, like 10 days ahead of time. Same goes for this coming week, they have not wavered an inch from their forecast of the pending warm up, due to being Sunday and run through most of next week. Yuck!

Thompson's,
    I'm at woodbridge corners on 68 north of Rens. Falls. Trying to brick my arch so I'm ready for whatever we may get this weekend. I have cv on all my taps so I'm hoping that will help if we get a "normal" weather pattern soon.

Might not mess around with adding vac on my tubing unless I get caught up by the middle of next week. Already made a booster/manifold for a bender releaser and have access to a delaval dairy pump. My plan was to run a dry line from my sugar house where I would house the pump under cover and where I have electricity to my dump station 600' in my woods. Not sure how to size the line. I will have up to three 3/4" mainlines with no more than 50-60 taps each.
    St. Lawrence County
    3-'11: 8x12 Shack, 146 taps (100 buckets/46 gravity), 16"x77" evaporator (2 flat pans)

Indeed the forecast looks grim.

However I like to think that it's kind of like growing a crop, we work the soil, plant, water, weed, keep pests away (every garden must be defended) and we must be diligent and do our part. We however don't have the really hard part --- making things grow (That would keep us up at night wouldn't it?).

Keep the faith -- it's not over.

Sap was still running clear and at just about 2% as of yesterday. Not enough to collect today. Crossing my fingers for a colder night and hoping for the best. Managed to boil for only two days so far after the initial flooding and sweetening of the pan. Made almost 10 gallons from my 148 taps a couple of which I pulled already on some reds. My first taps have only been out a week today, so they should stay active for a bit, even with the warm days and nights??? It'll be very disappointing if this warm spell kills it for good. If things shut down for a bit or the end actually is here, how do I go about getting all the sweet back out of my pans? Can you simply fill the head tank with water and push the sweet through until you get it to the syrup pan or is there not enough to worry about in the flu pan? Thanks for any help/experience that can be offered as this is my first season on a flu set.

P.S. I'm hoping for a little Irish Luck tonight as the forecast is either a low of 41 or 31 depending on where you look.
    P.P.S. I almost forgot, happy Pi Day - 3.14
    St. Lawrence County

i am in marietta , just south west of cuse and i pulled my taps today. i finished with 355 gallons of sap at 2.3%. i tapped feb 15th we boiled tonight at our coop. i decided to pull my taps because next week will be in the 80's

Yes, you can push with water --- any time, you don't have to wait for the end of the season.
    Down to 28 last night and running strong right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 123456789101121 ... LastLast