+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Catskills

Default Ulster County Catskills

Formally under the title Mid-Hudson Valley Update.

Just checking in with the the area producers, and all others interested, on the approaching season.

Wish I was ready. I will be spending the next month closing in my shack and setting up my new 2x6 pan. I'm adding AUF/AOF also. just bought the HP fan. I'm almost done milling the timbers I need to finish the wood shed for my shack. Most of this should have been finished long ago, but major commitments diverted all my time into other projects. Once I was free to return to my unfinished work, which was late October, I was happy to have the warmer weather of the extended fall for the outside work.

I am also negotiating more taps on nearby land, and will walk the property Thursday. I am hopeful there are enough trees to make it worthwhile.

Here's hoping for a good season for everyone.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

The new land is fairly flat, no power and limited access. It's also mostly pine. I will hike around this week and see if there is anything there that is tapable.

Cut timbers for the woodshed Saturday and today. I have almost everything I need. I plan to start cutting the frame this week. It seems there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Or enough energy.

Listening to the bard owls calling in the wood just now. They can go on all night long sometimes. It can be a lonesome sound to us, but it's their network for keeping track of what the flock is up to in the dark. Maybe they will keep the squirrels away from the tubing.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 02-15-2016 at 05:50 PM.

What's with this weather? The week ahead looks more like March. Great if you are ready to run, which I am not. But, it's sure easier working outside now than it was last year. I'm closing in the shack, and making some progress. Also got my high pressure fan for my AOF/AUF, and picked up a Lunchbox Vacuum/Releaser for the trees in the adjacent bush. The snow last year made it nearly impossible to haul out the sap, and this will pump it right to the shack. I have to drive to my other bush.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 02-03-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

I could not resist starting to tap--last year I started the second week in Feb. but with the weather forcast I decided to start a little early so I put 42 in over the weekend. all the trees on the outside of the woods are producing as of yesterday. I only hope I am not to early---any thoughts?

Tha maple next to my house has a broken branch, which is now dripping sap.

It's hard to argue with running sap. I don't know if it's too early, I just hope it's not too late when I'm ready to go. I was planning on tapping Feb 15 or thereabouts.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 02-15-2016 at 05:50 PM.

My thoughts are to tap about 10 feb,this is our Jan thaw,a little late,but I am sure old man winter will show up

Hailing from Orange County NY. This weather is bumming me out. The idea of tapping this early seems a little crazy. Now im not a person with years and years and years of experience but this weather is throwing me off as its been so warm. We've had barely any snow here, and no hard frost. Today we are getting a ton of rain. I'm not sure what will happen this year and what to do.

I live in orange county as well... i think considering tapping tomorrow (approx 100 taps) but have my doubts as well. I believe it will get cold again in the 10 day forecast.

Rained hard here most of the day. It did not get as warm as forecasted, at least not yet. I didn't get much work done on the shack in the rain. Finally making headway on this, and hope to get the siding on within a few days.

I'm still planning to hold off on tapping (for better or worse) until later this month.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 02-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Windows are all in. Framing for the door is about ready. Siding almost half done, but I'm running out. Time for a trip to woodstock building supply. I was hoping the parts for my steam hood would be cut at the fabricator's, but no word yet. It was too dark for pictures when I called it a day, so will try to get a few tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 02-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast