+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to a new W.F. Mason 2x6 Drop Tube and all I can say is WOW !

Default Upgraded to a new W.F. Mason 2x6 Drop Tube and all I can say is WOW !

Last year we decided that the W.F. Mason 2x4 evaporator just wasn't fast enough for us, as we only have time to boil on Saturday and some of Sunday. At 13-15 gph, 225 gallons of sap in one day is a daunting and tiring task. So I sold it to another trader member and placed an order with Bill who had it ready by last fall. We fire bricked the entire inside, put new heat shielding in the cabin surrounding the new 10 inch stack and got our wood prepared. Crossed our fingers for sap, and last weekend, we finally got it up and running.
    We used a 55 gallon barrel as the float reservoir and had Bill equip it with a good sized blower.
    roughly 8 minutes after striking the match, I had a full on boil. 10 minutes later I decided that the old cupola was not big enough, as the steam was so thick you could call the place a sauna. Good thing we had doors and windows we could open, which alleviated the issue. Thankfully it was pretty nice out though.

It boiled so fast, I averaged about 40-45 gph for the whole burn. That takes into account the time before boiling and ends when the bubbles stopped. I'll have to measure just how fast I can get it this weekend. The amount of sap flowing into the float box was often so much that it splashed and sprayed while it rushed in. It was crazy to think that was the same amount of sap being boiled off.

It was pretty good on wood consumption as well. I would say in the 4 hour boil we did, it went through about 3 feet x 8 feet by one row of wood which ranged between 12 inches and 18 inches.

The 2x4 used to put out thick black smoke when I fired it, so after filling the fire box with wood, I went outside to watch. To my amazement and extreme pleasure, I watched lots of thick black smoke shooting out of the stack, then 3-4 feet of flame as it ignited. Pics below.

I couldn't be any happier with this new evaporator. It far exceeded what I could have thought possible in such a compact design.
    I would highly recommend it to anybody thinking of upgrading from something smaller.

Bill has certainly outdone himself on this design.

Enjoy the pics.

Tim

We need a Bigger Cupola by

Evaporator and Float Reservoir by

Fire out the Stack by

Cabin during a Evening Boil by
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Lister; 10-03-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    143 taps on a brand new 3/16th tubing setup.
    2'x6' W.F. Mason Drop Tube Evaporator
    12"x24" W.F. Mason finisher.

great pictures! it's a good feeling to be able to breeze through a bunch of sap in short order!!!
    you'll need to tap 100 more trees next year!!!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

what are u doning with the old evaporator

nice pictures.

I'm running a new mason 2x5 but have not got to see boil rates yet...maybe this weekend.
    Bill has been very helpful.
    20 taps in 2009
    50 in 2010
    50 in 2011
    200 taps on buckets 100 taps on tubing 2012

Adding 500 taps on drops into 5 gallon bucets for 2013

2x5 flat pan Mason evaporator
    12X16 sugar shack

Tim,
    Great pictures!
    I bought a 2x6 Hobby unit from Bill last year, can't say enough good about Bill, the unit, and his workmanship.
    I almost went with his Drop Tube model, but decided to go with the Hobby unit instead.
    Your experience and testimonial really has me thinking for next year.
    What size is your sugar shack, if you don't mind me asking?
    Thank you,
    Scott
    Scott Bingham
    Smoky Lake 2x5 Corsair Arch and Hybrid Pro Pan
    Smoky Lake 3 Bank Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Steam Bottler
    100+ Taps
    Pug 4x4 Sap & Wood Hauler

Did you get the high output arch?
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

Sbingham, I would say the size of the sugar shack is about 10 by 16, maybe 12 by 16? I'm not sure. Never measured it. It was originally an old camp bunk house that has had many uses since it last saw campers. I don't think any of us ever envisioned it being a sugar shack though. Funny how things change.

Western Mainer, what do you mean by high output arch? I am not sure we had or were aware of the option for a high output arch. The one we have holds wood about 16-18 inches long, and leaves about an inch of space between the bottom of the tube pan and the top of the fire brick, causing 90% of the fire to go straight through the tubes. I'm honestly not sure if I would want anything more high output than what I have now.

My biggest issue now is making sure i have enough sap to boil when Saturday comes around.

I know, I know....
    What an issue to have.

Tim - Thanks for the response, it looks like your old bunk house works out very well for you.
    My arch is setting on a 12'x24' concrete slab, no building on it yet as I wanted to make sure it would be large enough.
    Glad to hear a report on the WF Mason Drop Tube Evaporator.
    I really like the unit I bought from Bill last year but... really have the itch to try one of these.

Brian - My WF Mason arch is the "hobby" series. I did have Bill upgrade the stack to come out the top of the arch like the "drop tube" arch, instead of out the back.
    The upgrade cost a bit more money as did the blower, but both are well worth it.
    I ordered my unit in the fall of 2010. In december of 2010 I seen on Bill's website that he was offering the "high output" arch.
    I called him and asked a few questions, but during the course of the conversation found that he almost done building my arch.
    He likely could have easily sold my arch, but I did not feel right about changing course midstream.
    Scott Bingham
    Smoky Lake 2x5 Corsair Arch and Hybrid Pro Pan
    Smoky Lake 3 Bank Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Steam Bottler
    100+ Taps
    Pug 4x4 Sap & Wood Hauler

Yes,
    the size of the cabin works perfictly for me.
    There's just enough space between the evaporator and the walls for me to have a stack of wood on either side and still have enough air space to walk between and remain safe from the heat.

Great pics T.Crowley! Thanks for sharing!
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast