+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning sap storage barrel

Quote Originally Posted by CliftonSap View Post
    I use plastic, food grade barrels to store sap for cooking. I noticed that there may be mold on the inside of one of the barrels. What does everyone use to clean thier non-stainless steel equipment? I'm concerned bleach would taint the sap.
    16-1 bleach and a scrub pad on a stick to reach through the bungs and then a thorough rinse with a hose sprayer. Bleach ruins RO membranes.

I fill a couple of five gallon buckets with weak bleach solution and warm water. I run it through my transfer pump (to clean that too) and spray out the inside of each container and slosh it around good. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse with clean warm water.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_XJ View Post
    Resurrecting this thread - I've been using star san this week to finish off anything touching raw sap after I scrub it down with water and multiple rinses. Having used that stuff for brewing I can say it's a huge time saver and have not had a single contamination issue. If there's anything more likely to spoil than maple sap it's a mixture of warm water grain and yeast...
    I use Star San as well. It doesn't take much to mix up a lot of Star San and I use it on all my taps and sap buckets. No need to rinse either so it saves time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I use Star San as well. It doesn't take much to mix up a lot of Star San and I use it on all my taps and sap buckets. No need to rinse either so it saves time.
    I've been using Star San's brother PBW (powdered brewery wash) for cleaning then the star san for disinfecting. The PBW cleans well and does remove hard to get out gunk. I cleaned out some buckets using it that had coconut oil in them it took out the oil and the smell in two washes. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    I've been using Star San's brother PBW (powdered brewery wash) for cleaning then the star san for disinfecting. The PBW cleans well and does remove hard to get out gunk. I cleaned out some buckets using it that had coconut oil in them it took out the oil and the smell in two washes. Jay
    PBW also works great in the dishwasher also,we run it through couple times a month,dishwasher and glasses just shine.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

I just changed out my storage barrels to ones with open tops (latched closed during the season). will make it easier to clean after the season. Last year I had 50 gallons of sap in one that froze solid because of a deep freeze here. I wasn't able to use that barrel for the season.

41.457 x -72.907 148 elevation
    2x4 wood fired evaporator with the "Hercules Blower"
    hybrid pan and backflip preheater by Smoky Lake
    103 taps. 44 on gravity
    All sugar Maples
    7" filter press
    10 x 12 sugar shack
    two very helpful kids
    a wife that thinks I'm nuts

https://youtu.be/7MiY8qzBKk8
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KCTCHESH7

+ Reply to Thread